Chapter 9

Scott P.O.V.

The darkness around his eyes disappeared and I could see them return to his natural blue pigment as he died in my arms. The water crashed back down into the ocean and pieces of metal and debris fell from the sky as the lightning ceased. I brushed back his hair with my fingers and kissed him one last time. I hadn't cried over someone this hard in all my life, or at least for as long as I can remember. All this time I thought of myself as the lion and Alix as the lamb needing to be protected, but Alix was a dragon all along, or at least part of him was. But I still loved him anyway, he was my best friend.

"I'm so sorry." I cried as I buried my face into his. I held him against my body tightly, not wanting to let him go. I was so close to just having him back and returning things back to normal. But I guess normal just isn't possible when you're one of us.

...

After what happened, I didn't want to stay at the school anymore. I couldn't, not without Alix. I left and returned home to my grandmothers house. My days started blurring together. I wasn't eating the same, wasn't sleeping, and the rare occasions where I did I would have a nightmare of Alix. Whether he's killing me or i'm killing him. It always woke me up in the middle of the night and made it almost impossible to go back to sleep.

Maybe Alix was better off being "cured". Maybe we could have lived a somewhat normal life together. Maybe he would still be the same person I met a year ago. The person that would blush and try to hide it every time I looked into his eyes instead of the person that could tear someone's flesh apart. These things always raced through my mind late at night as I tried to sleep, maybe that's why I would get these nightmares.

My most recent dream was the first time I had been to Alix's house. We were in his driveway and I was trying to convince him to come to prom with me.

"So eight?" I asked him regarding the time to pick him up. He stepped closer to me and whispered into my ear.

"It's too late." His words hissed inside my head. I looked at him confused. "Its too late." He repeated as he closed his eyes and I caught him before he fell. My claws were impaled into his chest.

"NO!" My voice echoed throughout the empty vicinity. The bloody claws returned into the slits between my knuckles. I held my hand to Alix's wound as tears began to fill my eyes. "No, no, no, no." I tried to keep pressure on it so blood would stop gushing out. Nothing worked. I held him close and cried just like the first time it happened.

I woke up panting and sweating. My grandmother was close to me with her hand over my chest. My brain didn't recognize it at first and out of fear my claws extended and I stabbed through her stomach. Once i came to realize it was her a knot formed in mine.

"Shit, shit, shit, i'm sorry." I said in a panic.

"You...wo-wouldn't...wake up." she got out in between breaths. I could tell she was in pain every time she inhaled.

"Fuck, i'm so sorry." tears began to fill my eyes in real life this time. I know how Alix felt now. To not be in control of your power, to accidentally hurt the ones you love.