forty-three

The time came for us to leave, and I actually didn't want to. Shawn's parents were so sweet, and his brothers were really funny. I had grown close to Karen, so it saddened me to be leaving her in a house of all boys. "They all moved out the house. I'm okay," Karen would reassure me.

But still, I didn't want to leave her.

Our plane was set to leave at Midnight. By that time, it was already too late for Karen and Manny to take us. Instead, his brothers - all of them - offered to take us.

I sat in the middle backseat, my head resting in Shawn's right arm. Liam was at my right. Scott in the drivers seat, Jack in the passenger seat and Daniel in the back with the luggage.

"So Jasmine," Scott clears his throat. "How'd you like Canada?"

"It's really nice," I say. "I like it."

"Is it better than back home?" Shawn asks me.

"Well I don't know." I teasingly say.

"It's better than back home," Jack says.

By the time we arrived at the airport, Shawn and I had only fifteen minutes to board the flight. Our goodbyes were quick, yet meaningful.

"It was really nice meeting you, Jasmine." Liam said as we hugged goodbye.

"You, too." I say.

Daniel comes and hugs me as Liam goes to hug Shawn goodbye. "You make our baby brother happy."

"Well he makes me happy." I smile and hug him.

Scott comes next, hugging me tightly. "I hope we meet again. You're a rally sweet girl."

"Thank you, Scott. I hope we see each other again, too." I reply.

Jack comes next and we both laugh, hugging. "I've never met a girl who could kick my ass at any sport I played."

"That's not true. I hear you're one hell of a pitcher." I reply, squeezing his upper arms as we pull apart. Jack smiles.

"Listen," he lowers his voice and slightly leans in. "You're changing this guy. And it's honestly for the better."

I couldn't help but smile. "A lot of people have been telling me that, too."

"Just...be careful with him, okay? Shawn can be dangerous when he needs to." He warns.

I nod. "Okay. I will. Thank you, Jack."

We hug goodbye one last time before I grab my suitcase in my right hand, and Shawn's hand in my left.

"Land safely!" Liam calls out.

We enter the gates and board our plane. Shawn's dad switched us to first class...again. I sit by the window and Shawn sits by the aisle.

By now, I'm tired. We'd be getting back in the middle of the night. Shawn was gonna spend the night and my place, and then go to train in the morning.

"Your family was really sweet." I whisper to Shawn. Talking about private matters in public just wasn't my thing. I didn't like people eavesdropping in on conversations.

"They liked you." Shawn replies, kissing my forehead. He keeps his voice low to match my tone.

"I liked them."

"And I like you." Shawn kisses my lips quickly before taking out his phone and changing the settings.

I think I'm falling in love with you.

His words echo in my head. He thinks I didn't hear him, but I did. I hope he doesn't say it to me while I actually am awake, otherwise I don't know if I'd be able to say it back.