sixty-six

I feel like a big weight had been lifted off my shoulders, but it still lingers above me. Shawn is silent. He hasn't moved, nor has he spoken a single word. He just kept looking at me dumbfounded. The only noise that can be heard were the seagulls squawking in the back and the waves hitting the water.

"Shawn?" I ask. "Are, are you mad?"

He opens his mouth to answer, but before he can even say anything, someone calls me. We both turn our heads into the direction my name was being called and see my mom standing by the house.

"Jasmine, mija, come here, please!" She calls.

"What do you need?" I reply.

She digs into her pocket and holds out a sheet of paper. The wind blows behind it but she has a good grip on it to let it go.

"I need you to go to the store for me!" She replies.

"I'll be right there." I turn back to Shawn and toy with my thumbs. "Do you want to come with me?"

Shawn shakes his head. "I'm good here."

"Shawn, I'm..."

"You don't wanna keep your mom waiting." He tells me.

"Yeah, you're right," I say as I get up from the chair. "I'll see you when I get back." I walk away and think about kissing him, but I don't. I keep walking up the sand and to the back patio of the house where my mom was.

"Shawn's not coming?" She asks me as I take the paper from her hands.

"Huh? Oh, no. He's gonna stay. I think he just really likes it here." I lie.

She smiles. "Take Selma and Chloe with you. See if anyone wants to go with you girls."

I give her a small smile and in the house through the back door. Chloe sits on the couch of the living room reading a book when I walk in.

"Wanna go to the store with me? It's for dinner tonight." I say to her.

She sets her book down. "Yeah, sure. Let me just get my shoes."

"Alright. I'm just gonna get changed real quick." I set the list down on the kitchen island and walk up the stairs to my bedroom. I shut the door and quickly change out of my bathing suit and into a navy blue spring dress. From the window, I can see Shawn. He's no longer sitting where I left him, but he's on the phone, walking around.

"Jasmine, you ready?" Chloe calls from down the stairs just as I'm slipping into my shoes.

"Yeah," I reply. I walk away from the window and open the door. After heading downstairs, I grab the car keys of my dad's old car he always left here.

Selma came with us as we went to the garage to get the car. The car was my dads first car he ever got, a black 1961 Ferrari GT 250 California. He said it was a graduation gift he got when he graduated college. It was also the first car that I drove. When I was 16, he used to teach me to drive it. He thought that if he taught me to drive in a car that was his prized possession, it would teach me to be careful driving any car.

They help me take the brown tarp off the car and toss it somewhere in the back. We get in the car and I drive off towards the grocery store.

"Why didn't Shawn want to come?" Selma asks me.

"I think he just wanted to stay." I reply with a little shrug. "Don't blame him, either. The weather's nice today."

Selma looks over the list of things that my mom had written down on the paper. I drive around the bend and come out onto the main road. It had been over a year since I had been here. Last summer I decided not to come to the Hampton's simply because I wanted to use the summer as an advantage to get ready for my first year of college. As much as I try to focus on driving, my mind is still focused on how Shawn reacted.