sixty-seven

[shawn]

As soon as she left up to her mother, I grabbed my phone from my pocket and dialed Paige. She knew Jasmine better than anyone. Sure, I could go to her family directly, but then again, I don't think I should tell them that we may possibly be in the middle of a possible argument. Her father seems like a man that you wouldn't want to anger. And I wouldn't want to anger him by saying, "Sir, your daughter and I are in the middle of a possible argument. Can you help?"

"Hey! How's the Hampton's?" Paige answers on the fifth ring.

"It's nice," I say. "Listen, I need your help."

"What's up?" She asks.

I get up from my chair and walk along the shore. "Jasmine told me about going off to college."

Paige is silent. "So you know about...?"

"Yeah, I know. But she thinks I'm mad because I didn't say anything. I, I don't know what to do. You know her better than her family."

"That's not true," Paige replies.

"Paige, when we got here everyone thought she was a lesbian."

"Okay, maybe you're right. So she thinks that you're mad at her?"
"Yeah. But I didn't know she would say that. She just hit me with it out of the blue. I didn't know what to say."

"That's the thing about Jasmine, Shawn. She tends to overthink things. She's always been like that."

"So how do I deal with it?" I ask her.
"Well, the situation depends. But I think since you two are dating, she's probably gonna think that you'll leave or something. Especially with the fight this week." Paige says.

"She thinks I'm gonna leave her?"
"I don't know. Maybe. How about this, I call and talk to her then I'll report back to you. Sound good?"

"Yeah, sounds good. Thank you, Paige."
"No problem. Enjoy the Hampton's for me. Oh, and Jack said to bring him a souvenir. Specifically one of those lighters in the shape of a lighthouse."
"Tell him I said he's getting sand."
"Bye, Shawn!" Paige laughs and I hang up.

Since Paige was no help, I knew of someone who would be able to help me. I hope she answers.

"Hey, Shawn!" I turn and see Mr. Callaghan calling me from the house. "I'm gonna go to the Boating Dock. Want to come with?"

"Yes, thank you," I reply. "I'll be right there."

I put my phone into my pocket and jog on up to the house. He stands on the back porch, his hands in his pockets, as he waits for me. "I need another strong fella to help me down at the dock. Can you do that?"

"Yes, sir." I reply. He smiles and pats my back. "Just let me get changed first."

"No problem. You might want to bring a sweater, it tends to get chilly over there."

"Okay, thank you." I nod at him as I walk into the house and head on upstairs into the bedroom. Jasmine wasn't in the room or in the house. I sigh and close the door to change out my swim shorts and into a pair of shorts and a navy blue pullover sweater before putting on my shoes and heading back down the stairs.