forty-eight

Things were awkward with Shawn and I for about one week. He was busy the whole time with his training and preparations for his fight. And I was dealing with my cousin Selma's wedding and going away to Chicago in a few months. The bruise on my face was gone - thankfully. But the bruise on my leg was still there.

Today I went for the final dress fitting with Selma for her wedding. I had Paige drive me to the Bridal Shop, and then Selma would bring me to my parents place. Tonight was my dad's 50th birthday and we were throwing a family party for him.

"Okay, so, do not be mad." Selma says to me as I enter the back room of the bridal shop.

"Why?" I ask.

"I changed the color scheme of the wedding." She smiles excitedly.

"So no more white and white?" I joke. Selma laughs.

"The dresses are going to be the same, but it's going to have a hint of light blue."
"How much is a hint?" I ask.

Selma just smiles, blinks a few times, and turns to look at the dress. It's covered in a white dress slip. I walk over and unzip it, revealing the same dress I tried on, only in a soft, shimmery blue tone.

"Try it on." Selma urges. "It's got the right measurements."

"I'll be back in five minutes." I say, grabbing the hanger and dress and walking to the dressing room.

I step into the room and take off my shirt and jeans, leaving me in my bra and underwear. I slip on the dress halfway and take off my bra and put the dress on completely. An open back dress is absolutely stunning, but a bra just kills the look. I put my hair up in a bun and examine myself in the mirror.

I'd have to admit-- the new style looks stunning. Maybe even better than the last color. "Coming out," I warn to Selma.

I leave the dressing room and walk out to where Selma is. There's an elderly woman standing next to her. The woman nods to herself as I step out.

"How are the adjustments?" The woman asks me.

"Fine. Great, actually. I like it." I say. The lady smiles and I do a small little twirl.

"What's that on your back?" Selma asks me.

"What's what?" I reply.

"Step onto the platform. You can get a better look in the mirror," the woman tells me. I pick up the skirt of the dress as I step onto the platform in front of the mirrors.

"There!" Selma points out. I turn my head and look at my back's reflection in the mirror. "How'd you get that?"

Another bruise. I must have missed it. It's on my lower back, and it's pretty big. It's an ugly purple-green-yellow color.

"How'd that happen, Jazz?" Selma asks me again.

Quick! Think of something!

"At Diana's party," I say. "Some fight broke out in the back and I got knocked down by someone."

"Ouch, that must've hurt." The woman tells me.

"Yeah, it did." I reply.

"Well. Let's get you out and your dress boxed." She says.

"Thank you, Stacy. You did such an amazing job!" Selma hugs the woman, who is now revealed as Stacy.

___

Selma and I drive to my parents place after getting the dress. My dad was out with Selma's fiancée, Matthew, and a few of our Uncles. We were planning a surprise party for him and were planning on keeping him out of the house until later. The best thing was my dad thought it was a surprise party for Chandler, since his and my father's birthdays were just a day apart, but Chandler thought it was a party for our dad. We were gonna kill two birds with one stone.