#16 First Surprise

"I don't understand. You are -- you are kidding right?" I stuttered, being extra careful with my choice of words.

In love ? There is no such thing! My mind was whirling with the idea of Luke being in love with me. This might just be physical attraction since I'm the only girl he hangs out with. This might just be like when I thought I like Ashton but it turns out to be just a sudden curiosity and nothing else.

I stared right into his eyes in hopes of finding any, any hint at all of a lie but all I could see was sincerity and truth. He answered my question with a painful look and oh boy, he is serious.

"Oh, Luke. I -- I don't know what to say! I'm not used to this and -- Oh, god." I breathed out and looked down from his eyes.

He doesn't say anything else and only place his hand on my knee for a second or two, trying to be casual.

"You don't need to say anything, El." He offered a small smile but I could still see the disappointment in his eyes.

"But --"

"No, listen. I didn't expect an answer from you and it's okay. You do not know how relieved I feel after letting it all out. So can we please," he paused and gave me a look so I couldn't interrupt him, "return to how it is before?"

I opened my mouth to say something but went against it and closed my mouth. I sighed before putting a hand on his shoulder and hugging him like how I always have, as a good friend.

"I'm sorry" was the only thing I could manage to say. After the small exchange, Luke invited me to buy ice-cream, as per usual. However, this time, I offered to treat him as a sign of gratitude for his consideration towards me.

I went straight home after seeing Luke off and sat down on my room floor, with my back against the ground. This month has been quite a ride with Ashton, Calum trying to teach me stuff, Luke's feelings. I am genuinely surprised Michael hasn't come up with any drama yet since he is always the one who does stupid crap all the time.

I sighed and gently tapped the back of my head on the wall a couple of times before stretching back up to start planning for the Literature project. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

I arrived to school early today. I insisted on the guys to not pick me up since I am coming out early to walk by myself. Although my excuse to them was "an errand before school" but really it was just me avoiding a few people. Michael seems to have sensed something wrong so he didn't ask like he usually would and I am thankful for him for that. He has always been the one who understands us the most even though he gives off this vibe of indifference.

I walked towards the school gates slowly with my earphones on and a few files in my arms. I silently prayed to myself that I won't bump into Luke.

The bell rang and I hurried to Literature class, the first period of the day. I entered class and noticed a few students already in class, including Calum. How unexpected.

I approached him and calmly said, "Come with me and bring your stuff with you."

He looks confused at first but followed nonetheless. I sat in my seat and tapped on Ashton's seat. He sat down and looked at me, begging for a reason.

"I don't want Ashton sitting beside me. That's all." I sighed and in return, he only smiled and said nothing else.

When Ashton came into class, he was slightly confused as to why Calum was sitting in his seat but quickly dismissed it and waved before sitting in Calum's original seat. I avoided eye contact with him only gave a small smile.

"Hey, why didn't you want us to fetch you?" Calum asked, just as Miss Darcy entered class.

"I told you - I wanted a breath of fresh air." I lied, a pang of guilt hit me.

"Alright class, you may sit in your groups and use this period to start your discussions on the project. I expect 100 percent participation." Miss Darcy announced and everyone started gathering in their own groups.

Ashton approached our desks and brought a chair over to sit in front of us. He smiled but I knew he had something to say in regards to the sudden seat exchange but I didn't say anything.

"Sorry, bro. I had something to discuss with El. Hope you don't mind." Calum answered for me and Ashton nodded in acknowledgement.

The atmosphere was tense at first but all of us settled down and started on our assignment. Hell, this is going to be a long day.

Lunch was as per usual. Michael busying himself with his meal, Calum playing with his food and Luke doing nothing. Ashton was away and I didn't think anything of it.

However, there is something different about today. Luke and I didn't talk and Michael seems to have caught something. Calum doesn't know and strangely, he isn't looking at Hillary. Odd, I thought but I felt a little happy for some reason.

"So what's up with you two?" Michael said all of a sudden, gesturing towards Luke and I.

God damn it, Michael.

I glared at him but he didn't seem to notice. There was a sound coming from under the table and Michael gasped in pain.

"What do you mean, Michael?" Calum asked with sudden interest and I cringed upon hearing his question.

"You didn't know?" Michael asked in shock, "Luke likes --" But he was cut off with a kick from me. This damn idiot!

"Luke likes this band and he wanted to ask me if I knew them and I said no! And that's it!" I answered rather quickly but Calum didn't seem to believe it, of course.

"Oh yeah? What's the name of the band?" He asked, as if knowing I was lying.

Of course he's going to ask that! Why couldn't I think of something better? I was thinking hard of something but Calum interrupted my thoughts.

"C'mon guys, tell me. Who does Luke like?" He whined, curiosity getting the best of him.

"Eliza. I like Eliza."

My eyes widened in shock and I didn't turn around to face Luke. All I could see was Calum's reaction and he didn't seem to like the answer.

-

another update! are u proud of me? if u liked this chapter please vote & comment! i'd love to receive any interaction from everyone reading this & ur votes & comments inspire me to continue writing :) ty