Chapter 9: Laurance

Friday, September 19

Laurance's POV

"Dude, can I practice my pickup line skills?" Travis asks, while walking to school.

What a lovely question to start off my morning. "No." I say. "Besides, what kind of question is that?"

"One that allows me to practice my wooing skills so Aphmau can become my girlfriend." Travis smirks.

"I'm pretty sure there's more to a relationship than 'wooing someone'." Garroth says. "Like trust and passion and stuff like that."

'Whatever." Travis phffs.

Dante rolls his eyes like he always does when we fight about this. "You guys need to chill out about her. Besides, how do we know she doesn't already have a boyfriend from Bright Port?"

Wow. I never thought about that. We all just assumed she was single since she only hung out with guys that didn't seem like her type. Not to mention the fact that they're all close friends.

"What if we've been flirting with her and she's already with someone?" I thought aloud. "How awkward that must be for her."

"Objection." Dante says. "Except for Travis's outburst that one time, you really haven't flirted with her. And besides, I doubt she has a boyfriend, she would have already set her boundaries."

"Then why did you bring it up?" Garroth exclaims. I agree. He got us worried over nothing!

"'Cause- nevermind." Dante says. "Come on, we're gonna be late."

*Timeskip to School* (cuz thats the point of this book)

We're listening to a lecture but I'm not really paying attention. Now you might think 'Laurance, you're gonna miss something important!, but you see, there are video cameras the school installed as a safety precaution. And the school lets us help out with the security station every Friday and I just export the file of the lectures on a USB and boom! I'm covered for whatever subject we're doing.

But don't worry, I share it with Dante, Garroth, Travis too. Sometimes.

I don't know why the school lets us do this. They really, really, shouldn't trust us.

Anyway, since I have a seat next to the window on the door, I make funny faces at the students who have hall passes. But today, it's different.

So I'm making my usual, silly faces to the students in the hall when two girls are in a deep conversation. So deep that they don't notice me. I recognize my sister Cadenza, and her friend Lucinda.

All of a sudden, Cadenza starts walking backwards so she can talk to Lucinda directly. It looks kind of like Lucinda is trying to warn Cadenza about the door but Cadenza keeps waving her hand, dismissing her.

At the last second, she turns around and her face gets smushed into the glass as her knees sink to the ground. I laugh, which was a mistake.

"Mr.Laurence!" the teacher exclaims. "What part about world wars is funny?!"

Oh no...

"Detention for you today!" she says angrily, getting a notepad out of a drawer and writing on it.

Dante's POV

"This is your fifth detention this week!" Garroth exclaims.

"I see what you're doing Laurance!" Travis says. "You're trying the bad boy attempt to get to Aphmau!"

Not again. "Guys, why do all our conversations go right to Aphmau!" I say. "It's always Aphmau this and Aphmau that. Geez guys, you're beginning to sound obsessed."

I regret saying that. Now I'm getting death stares from Laurance and Garroth.

"Chill guys." Travis says. "He doesn't understand. It's not like he's had a real conversation with Nicole."

I'm about to bring up the part when Travis said that horrible pickup line to Aphmau but my better judgement, thankfully, takes over.

*Timeskip to Detention*

Laurance's POV

I walk into the room which I am increasingly familiar to. This is my fourth time in here this week and the guy supervising us is also becoming increasingly familiar with me.

"Here again eh?" he says, in his way of greeting me. "What did ya do this time?"

"Laughed." I say, giving him my slip. I walk over to a table and just sat there, because I did not bring anything to do. Great job Laurance. I think. You're gonna be stuck here for an hour staring at a wall.

As I was adjusting my view of the wall, I see Aphmau come in. She didn't have that smile she always had on. Instead she had a semi-mad/angry expression. I guess she isn't happy about detention. I don't know who would.

"Hey, it's you again!" the supervised guy says. "Haven't seen you since the first day! What'da in for?"

"That's a good question." she says. "I don't know myself." She gives him the detention slip which he reads with a confused look.

"There's nothin' on here?" he says, confused.

"Yeah." she says. She walks over toward a table and she sits right next to me. Well then. I think. Maybe this won't be such a bad detention period...

*After Detention*

I can do this. I think. I can do this.

I walk up to Aphmau and say, "Do you want to walk home together?" I was nervous and trying not to tremble. If this was hard for me, then Garroth doing this would be impossible. He's so shy.

She gave me her lovely smile. "Sure." she said.

"Great!" I say, like a huge anvil had been lifted off my back. "I just need to get my stuff."

As we walk on the sidewalk to our houses, she asks me "Do you have a reason for walking with me?"

Crap. What do I say? That I've overcome a case of love at first sight? That I love her? That I think she's cute?

"I just wanted to ask what you meant by you didn't know how you go detention." Nice save Laurance.

"And you need to walk with me to ask that?" she asks, but she has that expression which says she's joking. "Sorry. Anyway, I was doing work in Science and all of a sudden, the teacher just gives me a detention slip and yeah. That's it."

"Ouch, that sucks." I say.

"Yeah." she agrees. We talk a bit more, and I get to know her better and she gets to know me better. It totally relaxes me that I don't even remember that I had to go to the security station to get my lectures.

Unknown POV

I see Aphmau and Laurance outside, walking together. They're laughing and smiling. I watch them as they walk into the distance until they've disappeared. Jealousy overcomes me as I keep staring at where I last saw them. She will learn to like and eventually, love me. I think.

"Hey, what are you staring at?" someone asks behind me.

"Nothing." I say, turning around.

AN: HOLY CRAP WE'VE REACHED 2K! TY AND HOLY CRAP THIS IS AMAZING! WOWOWOW! (yea I'm definitely freaking out more than I should.)