Chapter One: The Tylers

The man, whoever he was, was a genius. He'd found an exit the girls had missed due to being terrified of being killed by shop mannequins and managed to get them out of there before said shop mannequins could do their killing. Before they knew what was happening, he'd got them back to the lift, where they hurried inside. Just as the doors were closing, a dummy threw itself forwards, trapping its arm so the lift couldn't move. 

A normal individual might have screamed or stared in horror, which is what the girls did, but this man, this hero in shining armour (alright, a leather jacket) just rolled his eyes and set about pulling the mannequin's arm off so the lift could move. 

For a moment, as the doors closed and they started to rise through the building, the girls were silent. Then, Alex plucked up her courage and said what she felt was probably the most pressing thing about the man they were now stuck in an enclosed space with. "You pulled his arm off." 

He turned to the girls, grinning. "Yep. Plastic." He chucked the arm to Alex, who caught it on a fluke, her eyes wide. 

"Very clever," Rose said, narrowing her eyes. "Nice trick. Who were they then, students? Is this a student thing or what?" 

The man's brow furrowed in confusion. "Why would they be students?" 

Rose blinked. "I don't know." 

"Well, you said it. Why students?" 

"Cause..." She shrugged. "Cause to get that many people dressed up and being silly, they got to be students." 

The mysterious stranger raised his eyebrows in surprise, like he hadn't considered it that way before. "That makes sense. Well done." 

"Thanks?" 

"They're not students," he added. 

Rose rolled her eyes. "Whoever they are, when Wilson finds them, he's going to call the police." 

The man frowned again. "Who's Wilson?" 

"Chief electrician," Rose answered. 

"Wilson's dead." 

Alex's eyes widened, watching as the man walked out of the lift, cool as a cucumber. Was he joking? "That's sick!" 

The man glanced back at them as he aimed a small metal stick at the buttons of the lift. "Hold on. Mind your eyes." He pressed a button, and a whirring noise started up. The lift sparked. Then he walked off towards the exits, clearly expecting them to follow, which they did. 

"I've had enough of this," Rose muttered, annoyed. 

"What's going on?" Alex demanded as they caught up with him. "Who were those people? In fact, no, screw that, who are you? Who are you?" 

The man rolled his eyes. "They're made of plastic," he said, only answering one of the questions. "Living plastic creatures. They're being controlled by a relay device in the roof, which would be a great big problem if I didn't have this." He brandished a small explosive device in his hand. "So I'm going to go up there and blow them up, and I might well die in the process, but don't worry about me. No, you two go home. Go on. Go and have your lovely beans on toast. Don't tell anyone about this, because if you do, you'll get them killed." He gave them a grin, then ushered them both out of the shop, slamming the door shut in their faces. 

The sisters shared a bewildered look. "What just happened?" Alex asked.

Before Rose could come up with an answer, the door opened again, and the man reappeared. "I'm the Doctor, by the way. What're your names?" 

"Rose and Alex," the elder girl answered, too confused to disobey. 

The Doctor grinned. "Nice to meet you, Rose and Alex. Now run for your lives!" He slammed the door shut.