Chapter Thirteen: Only Human

"You are gonna love this, girls!" the Doctor declared happily, bounding into the console room.

As she and Rose followed him in, Alex smiled fondly at him. "Tell me more."

"Kegron Pluva!" he exclaimed, obviously expecting something a little more enthusiastic than the sisters' raised eyebrows.

"Right," Rose said, nodding. "That a person, or a place?"

"Or some sort of oven cleaner?" Alex teased.

"Planet," he corrected, unperturbed. "It's got the maddest ecosystem in the universe. You've got six moons going one way, three moons going the other way, and a sun that only orbits the planet! Forty-three seasons in one year. The top life-form, it's a kind of dog-plant-fungus thing.

Rose laughed. "Top dog-plant-fungus?"

"Yeah!" the Doctor agreed. "Plus, the water's solid, and everyone eats a kind of metal plum—"

"Alright, enough spoilers," Alex told him, putting her hand on the dematerialisation lever. "Let's go and see it." He put his hand over hers, and they shared a smile.

"I'm really gonna regret pointing this out," Captain Jack Harkness said as he came in from one of the corridors, "but does that mean what I think it means?" He pointed to a small black box with a flashing red light. He fiddled with some of the controls experimentally, but the Doctor slapped his hand away playfully.

"Oi!" he reprimanded, glancing back at the man. "You're still here, then? I've gotta remember, put the parental controls on."

Alex raised an eyebrow at Jack's outfit: an old-fashioned Merchant Navy uniform, all blue and white. "Hello sailor!" She wolf-whistled.

Jack rolled his eyes. "I wondered which one of you was gonna say that first."

"Could those trousers be any tighter?" Rose asked, smirking.

"Is that a request?" Jack retorted flirtily.

"Isn't that a temporal distortion alert?" Alex intervened, in an attempt to direct the conversation away from Jack's trousers—an occurrence that happened far too frequently.

The Doctor raised his eyebrows, impressed. "Yeah. You've been doing your homework."

She beamed. "I try."

"I've linked the relay to the screen so we can trace the distortion to its point of origin," he explained, showing them the monitor, which was now covering in circular Gallifreyan text. "Should be able to narrow it down in a bit."

"Temporal distortion is a bad thing, then?" Rose guessed, sighing. "I don't suppose it's coming from Kegron Pluva?"

The Doctor pressed the enter key, and snorted at the results. "No such luck. Nobody on Kegron Pluva would be as stupid as..." He trailed off, glancing back at the girls guiltily.

Alex rolled her eyes, recognising that look. "Oh, right, so it's coming from Earth. Interesting year?"

"Let's have a look." He started tapping away again, and space-time coordinates appeared onscreen. "Yeah, pretty interesting."

Jack frowned. "Interesting, 'cause why the hell is someone using a dirty rip engine to travel to your time?"

"Rip engines?" Alex echoed. "Gross."

The Doctor, meanwhile, had been trying to narrow down the location. "To visit Bromley," he said, piloting them there.

"Ah, well." Rose shrugged. "Kegron Pluva, Bromley... Probably both about as weird." As the TARDIS landed, she and Alex went out first.