Chapter Thirty Eight: The Satan Pit

As the last of the Ood in the drilling area collapsed dead on the ground, Zach's voice filtered through the comms link once more. "We're stabilising. We've got orbit."

Alex ran back to the comm. "Doctor? Doctor, can you hear me? Doctor, Ida, are you there?"

"Open door 25," the computer announced, and Jefferson and the female guard prepared to shoot, Alex turning round in case they needed her assistance.

"It's me!" Danny yelped, holding his hands up before turning to close the door behind him. "But they're coming. It's the Ood. They've gone mad."

"How many of them?" Jefferson demanded.

"All of them! All fifty!"

"Danny, out of the way. Out of the way!" Jefferson ordered, pulling the younger man away, before preparing to shoot. Alex joined him and the guard.

"But they're armed! It's the interface device. I don't know how, but they're using it as a weapon," Danny cried, as Jefferson opened the door, and an Ood demonstrated on the female guard. She dropped to the floor, dead, and Jefferson and Alex opened fire. They managed to push the Ood back to outside the door and close it again.

"Seal door 24. Seal door 23," Jefferson told the computer.

"Jefferson, what's happening there?" Zach questioned through the comms.

"I've got very little ammunition, sir, but Alex seems to be holding up. How about you?" Jefferson reported.

"All I've got is a bolt gun. With, er, all of one bolt. I could take out a grand total of one Ood. Fat lot of good that is," Zach scoffed.

"Given the emergency, I recommend strategy Nine," Jefferson stated. Danny and Scooti shared an uneasy look.

"Strategy Nine agreed." There was a pause. "Right, we need to get everyone together. Rose? What about Ida and the Doctor? Any word?"

Rose sighed. "I can't get a reply. Just nothing. I keep trying, but it's—"

There was a burst of static, then the Doctor's voice filtered through. "No, sorry, I'm fine. Still here."

"I'm going to bloody kill you!" Alex exclaimed, laughing in relief, tears in her eyes.

"Thanks very much," the Doctor replied sarcastically, but she could tell he was glad to hear her voice as well. "Anyway, it's both of us. Me and Ida. Hello! but the seal opened up. It's gone. All we've got left is this chasm."

"How deep is it?" Zach inquired.

"Can't tell. It looks like it goes down forever," came the Doctor's response.

"'The pit is open'," Rose quoted. "That's what the voice said."

"But there's nothing. I mean, there's nothing coming out?" Zach made sure.

"No, no. No sign of the Beast."

"It said Satan," Alex realised, frowning, before giving a light smile to her companions. "I've always wanted to punch the devil."

"Really, Kez? Not the time," the Doctor groaned, exasperated. Rose smirked. She'd heard him call her that a few times now, and while she didn't quite understand it, she wasn't about to question it. For one, it was too cute to interrupt.

"But is there no such thing?" she asked. He didn't reply. "Doctor. Doctor, tell me, is there no such thing?" His silence told her more than words could.

"Ida?" Zach called. "I recommend that you withdraw. Immediately."

"But, we've come all this way," she protested.