Chapter Twelve: The Doctor Dances

"Go to your room," the Doctor said suddenly. Behind him, Rose and Jack shared a look, but it was working. The patients stopped in their tracks. "Go to your room. I mean it! I'm very, very angry with you. I'm very, very cross. Go to your room!"

Alex let out a sigh of relief as the patients shuffled back to their beds, hanging their heads in shame. "Oh, thank God."

"I'm really glad that worked," the Doctor admitted, glancing back at her. "Those would have been terrible last words."

Jack snorted, and they all relaxed, the threat over.

"So... why are they all wearing gas masks?" Rose asked, eyeing a nearby patient.

"They're not," Jack replied. "Those masks are flesh and bone." Alex wrinkled her nose.

"How was your con supposed to work, then?" the Doctor asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Simple enough, really." Jack shrugged. "Find some harmless piece of space junk, let the nearest Time Agent track it back to Earth, convince him it's valuable, name a price. When he's put fifty percent up front, oops! A German bomb falls on it, destroys it forever. He nevers gets to see what he's paid for, never knows he's been had. I buy him a drink with his own money, and we discuss dumb luck. The perfect self-cleaning con."

"Yeah, perfect," the Doctor said sarcastically.

"The London Blitz is great for self-cleaners," Jack advised. "Pompeii's nice if you want to make a vacation out of it though, but you've got to set your alarm for volcano day." He winced at the Doctor's glare. "Getting a hint of disapproval."

The Doctor gestured to the patients. "Take a look around the room. This is what your harmless piece of space junk did."

"It was a burnt out medical transport," Jack protested. "It was empty!"

"Girls, come on," the Doctor said, ignoring him.

"Ooh, are we getting out of creepy hospital land?" Alex asked hopefully.

"We're going upstairs," he told her.

"Oh!" she groaned.

Jack smiled. "I even programmed the flight computer so it wouldn't land on anything living. I harmed no one. I don't know what's happening here, but believe me, I had nothing to do with it."

The Doctor scoffed. "I'll tell you what's happening. You forgot to set your alarm clock. It's volcano day."

A loud wailing siren sound, interrupting them. Rose jumped. "What's that?"

"The all clear," Jack answered.

"I wish," the Doctor muttered.

***

How they had managed to lose the Doctor when they were literally following him, Alex didn't know, but it had happened.

"Mr Spock?" Jack called.

"Doctor?" Rose tried.

Suddenly, the Time Lord popped his head over the bannister in the stairwell. "Have you got a blaster?"

"Sure," Jack replied. They headed up the stairs, meeting the Doctor outside a steel door.

"The night your space junk landed, someone was hurt," he explained. "This was where they were taken."

"What happened?" Alex asked.

He shrugged. "Let's find out. Get it open."

Rose frowned as Jack got to work. "What's wrong with your sonic screwdriver?"