Epilogue

As it turned out, shawarma was a type of Thai food. Still in their battle-wear, the Avengers sloped into the joint, Tony ordering for them all. He even paid double—with his fortune, it was the least he could do for the poor business owner.

There was a flatscreen TV mounted on the wall opposite their table, and as the others got the food, McKenzie and Clint were watching the news reports showing the eight of them in action. McKenzie smiled a little, despite her pain.

"What?" Clint asked, curious.

"I just..." McKenzie sighed. "A few years back, there was this guy. And he never thought I was good enough, or strong enough to be treated right. He thought I was weak, useless, worthless." She smiled again as the rest of the Avengers sat down, spreading the food about. "And look at me now."

Clint smiled.

***

A few days later, after the Avengers had all washed up and somebody had found McKenzie a strap-like brace to keep her wing still while it healed back to normal, they all gathered in a blocked off area of Central Park with Dr Selvig and Loki, who was bound and gagged.

Thor shook everyone's hands, giving Selvig and McKenzie hugs. Tony opened the Tesseract's case, in which Selvig placed the Tesseract itself, then Bruce put the case inside a tube with handles on either end, handing it to Thor. Loki reluctantly took the other end, which created an energy beam leading high into the sky. The brothers stepped into the beam, and then both were gone.

One by one, the rest of the Avengers said goodbye to each other, exchanging numbers with McKenzie and the Doctor in case such an event occurred again. Everyone got a hug off McKenzie, especially Clint, as they had become good friends as they fought. But eventually it was time to go. Tony and Bruce got into one of Tony's sports cars, Steve climbed aboard his Harley, Natasha and Clint got in a S.H.I.E.L.D.-issued SUV, and the Doctor and McKenzie entered the TARDIS.

The five humans watched in awe and amazement as the blue box faded away, and sat there for a moment until they too departed from the park. The Avengers had gone their different ways.

For now.