Chapter Twenty: The Parting Of The Ways

"We've got incoming," Alex warned, seeing missiles heading towards them on the monitor. They hit home, but all they felt inside was a jolt.

Jack laughed. "The extrapolator's working. We've got a fully functional forcefield. Try saying that when you're drunk."

"And for my next trick..." The Doctor threw the dematerialisation lever, landing the TARDIS around Rose, and the Dalek standing next to her. "Rose, get down!"

Rose hit the deck as the Dalek aimed. "Exterminate!" It shot towards Jack, but missed, and Jack took it out with his defabricator gun.

"You did it!" Rose said, getting to her feet. Alex ran over and hugged her tightly. "Feels like I haven't seen you in years!"

"Told you we'd come and get you," the Doctor reminded her, giving her a hug too.

She beamed. "Never doubted it."

"I did," he admitted. "You alright?"

"Yeah, you?"

"Not bad, been better."

Jack grinned, holding his arms out. "Hey, don't I get a hug?"

Rose rolled her eyes. "Oh, come here!"

"I was talking to him," Jack joked, then hugged her. "Welcome home."

"Oh, I thought I'd never see you again," Rose sighed.

"Oh, you were lucky," he told her. "I was just a one shot wonder. Drained the gun of all its power supply. Now it's just a piece of junk."

She nodded, then bit her lip, eyeing the Dalek. "You said they were extinct. How comes they're still alive?"

"One minute they're the greatest threat in the universe, the next minute they vanished out of time and space," Jack added, his brow furrowing.

"They went off to fight a bigger war," Alex told him, remembering what the Doctor had told her. "The Time War."

Jack's eyes widened. "I thought that was just a legend."

"I was there," the Doctor admitted, his voice heavy. "The war between the Daleks and the Time Lords, with the whole of creation at stake. My people were destroyed, but they took the Daleks with them. I almost thought it was worth it. Now it turns out they died for nothing." Alex took his hand silently.

"There's thousands of them now," Rose pointed out. "We could hardly stop one. What're we gonna do?"

The Doctor hesitated, then brightened. "No good stood around here chin-wagging. Human race, you'd gossip all day. The Daleks have got the answers. Let's go and meet the neighbours." He headed for the door.

Rose's eyes widened. "You can't go out there!" He went out anyway, and the others followed.

"Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!" The Daleks shot at them, but their lasers were stopped by the extrapolator shielding, a few metres out from the TARDIS.

The Doctor snorted. "Is that it? Useless! Nul points! It's alright, come on out. That forcefield can hold back anything."

"Almost anything," Jack corrected, closing the door behind him.

"Wow," Alex said, raising an eyebrow. "It's a good thing we don't have any real secrets."

He bit his lip. "Sorry."

The Doctor rolled his eyes, turning back to the Daleks. "Do you know what they call me in the ancient legends of the Dalek homeworld? The Oncoming Storm. You might've removed all your emotions, but I reckon right down deep in your DNA, there's one little spark left, and that's fear. Doesn't it just burn when you face me?" The Daleks shuffled backwards. "So tell me. How did you survive the Time War?"