Chapter Thirty-Four: I Think It Means Don't Leave Me Here Alone

That evening, once they'd eaten their fill—which, in the case of Alex's increased metabolism, was a whole lot—the Doctor and Alex had settled down in the observatory to watch a meteor shower. They were laying down on a futon with plenty of cushions and blankets to keep them warm and comfy, and the night sky was exceptional. 

"Kas?" Alex asked suddenly, her head resting on his shoulder. She liked the way he still blushed a little when she called him that. 

"Yeah?" 

"My phone's in the parallel universe with Mickey," she reminded him. "Which means you owe me." Her voice was tinged with mischievousness. 

He snorted. "Kez, when do I not owe you?" 

She turned to smile at him, and ended up pressing her lips against his, cupping the back of his neck with her hand. His arm went around her waist, his hand coming to rest on her lower back, and just as he made to pull her closer, she pulled away. "The meteors!" She snuggled back against him, turning her face up towards the stars, and watched the display with a rapt expression. 

The Doctor, though, had seen a lot of meteor showers, and while they were always stunning, he thought he had a new star to guide him now. So he held her close as she gasped in delight at the beauty the universe had to offer, and together, they fell asleep under the stars. 

These were two people who knew each day could be their last. These were two people clinging desperately to each other in a universe where nothing lasts forever. 

These were two people who had found love. 

~~~