Chapter Thirty-Three: The Age Of Steel

As the Cybermen advanced, Alex thrust out her hands, producing a silver, translucent forcefield in their path. She gritted her teeth as her arms shook, struggling to hold the shield. The Doctor grabbed the power cell from his pocket, raising it as she collapsed, gasping in pain. Golden energy shot out from the cell, blowing up the Cybermen.

"What the hell was that?" Ricky demanded, his eyes wide.

"You alright?" the Doctor asked, helping Alex to her feet. She was pale, staring at her own hands in shock.

"It's gone," she realised. She clenched her fists, trying to summon the energy, but there was nothing there.

"There's more!" Rose cried, seeing another legion of Cybermen advancing from the other side of the house.

The Doctor looked up, his eyes widening. "Run!"

A van pulled up on the grass and beeped its horn. The door slid open on the side, and a blonde woman called out. "Everybody in!"

"I've got to go back," Pete tried as the others headed for the van. "My wife's in there!"

"Anyone inside that house is dead," the Doctor told him bluntly. "If you want to help, then don't let her die for nothing. You've got to come with us right now."

"Come on!" the driver called. "Get a move on!" They ran to the van, the Doctor sliding into a seat next to Alex. "Finished chatting? Never seen a slower getaway in my life!" The van pulled away as Pete slammed the door shut.

"What was that thing?" Ricky demanded, his eyes wide.

"Little bit of technology from home," the Doctor replied, putting his arm around Alex's shoulders. She was still staring at her hands in shock, though it was starting to give way to worry.

"It's stopped glowing," Mickey noticed. "Has it run out?" After all, it didn't look like Alex was going to be able to recharge it.

The Doctor shook his head. "It's on a revitalising loop. It'll charge back up in about four hours."

"So we don't have a weapon anymore," Ricky said.

The parallel version of Jake Simmonds snorted. "Yeah, we've got weapons. Might not beat one of those metal things, but they're good enough for men like him." He glared at Pete.

Rose frowned. "Leave him alone. What's he done wrong?"

Jake rolled his eyes. "Oh, you know, just laid a trap that's wiped out the government and left Lumic in charge."

Pete sighed. "If I was part of all that, do you think I'd leave my wife inside?"

"Maybe your plan went wrong," Ricky pointed out, narrowing his eyes. "Still gives us the right to execute you, though."

Alex felt it when the Doctor tensed. "Talk about executions, you'll make me your enemy, and take some really good advice: you don't wanna do that."

"All the same..." Ricky shrugged. "We have evidence that says Pete Tyler's been working for Lumic since twenty point five."

"Is that true?" Alex asked, looking up at Pete with wide eyes.

"Tell them, Mrs M," Ricky ordered.

"We've got a government mole who feeds us information," she replied dutifully, glancing back in the rear view mirror. "Lumic's private files, his South American operations, the lot. Secret broadcasts twice a week."

Pete arched an eyebrow. "Broadcasts from Gemini?"

Ricky glared. "And how do you know that?"

"I'm Gemini. That's me."