Chapter Eight: In Which Our Hero Wakes

Nothing in particular woke Alex the next morning, except for the odd notion that something was missing. When she opened her eyes, she found herself in her bedroom on the TARDIS, tucked up under her duvet, wearing her clothes. Everything was normal, except for that niggling feeling in the back of her mind. An itch demanding to be scratched. Pain, demanding to be felt. 

That was when she realised, and it was weird. How could she not be in pain? She'd been shot, for Christ's sake. Since she felt fine, she decided it wouldn't hurt to check the wound. For curiosity reasons, mostly, but also out of the slight irrational fear that she'd somehow damaged her nerve endings enough to lose all feeling to the area. She walked over to the mirror and lifted her shirt. 

It wasn't exactly what she had expected to see, but she probably should have. Of course the wound wasn't going to be out in the open. That would be wildly unhygienic. Instead, it was covered in white gauze, medical tape holding the dressing on. Still, she had expected something a little more dramatic for a gunshot wound. This was little more than a plaster!

"You can thank Goddard for that," the Doctor piped up from the doorway. "She got the medical staff at the museum to sort you out. Brilliant technology they've got there. You'd've loved it." 

"I think I'm loving the effects of it," she told him, still a little confused. "I thought I'd be laid up for weeks, or... you know." 

He shook his head. "You've slept through most of it. You should be okay to do your normal thing now." He hesitated. "Of course, when I say normal, I mean a normal person's normal. I know you have a penchant for danger, but you're going to have to resist it for a while." 

She faked a pout. "What am I gonna do?" 

He grinned. "Anyway, we were thinking of going out, once you're ready. Rose wants to show off to Adam." 

Alex blinked. "Adam's here?" She raised her eyebrows. "Rose must have pulled." 

The Doctor snorted. "I think Adam would agree." 

She dropped her shirt back down, wincing at the bloodstain. "Well, I wouldn't want to miss that. Give me an hour to sort myself out, and I'll be with you." 

"By the way," he said, walking towards her hesitantly. "I'm glad you're okay." 

They hugged. 

~~~