Chapter 12

"What the hell?" I yawned and looked over at Shayna as she turned the super loud TV back down.

"Oh," she asked innocently, "are you awake?"

I sighed hard at her and rolled back over, throwing the covers up over my head. She turned the TV back up again.

"Don't you see me trying to sleep?" I snapped, throwing the covers to the side and sitting up. Shayna laughed. "You're not funny." She just looked at me. "What?" Then a slow smile spread across my face. "Why are you up so early anyway?"

"No reason." Shayna stifled a grin and turned the television off. "Have you talked to Kenney lately?"

"What? We just saw him last night. You smoke too much. Can't remember a damn thing."

"A contraire. That's you, my friend. I don't smoke at all."

"Oh." I chuckled and laid back down, turning my back to her. "Right."

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"Well have you spoken to Kenney?"

"No, of course not! Your crazy butt been sittin' right there looking at me sleep the whole time. How you figure I talked to Kenney between going to sleep and waking up?"

Shayna just shrugged, kicked her feet up on her bed, and went back to her magazine.

"Shayna."

"What?" she put the Forbes down. I didn't know why she was always reading that boring crap.

"Do you want me to talk to him?"

"Oh...no." She tried to play it off. "About what?"

"I don't know, sweetie. You want me to ask him about your boyfriend?"

"Boyfriend?" She tried to catch an attitude but couldn't stop cheesing.

"Yeah. Let me go ahead and call him now so you can let my hung over behind go back to sleep."

"Oh! I forgot we were even drinking last night. Sorry about that."

I rolled my eyes at her. "No you're not."

"You're right." She shrugged as if there was nothing she could do about it.

"Besides, it's not the alcohol that got me. It's those crack-tastic cigarettes your boy had me smoking."

"Want nuthin' but a little sherm. I'd think a 'pro' like you," she mocked my smack talk the night before, "would be better equipped to handle something like that."

"Anyway..." I reached for the phone.

"What are you doing?"

"Calling Kenney."

"No. Don't."

"Ok." I started dialing.

"No," Shayna came over to my bed. "For real. Don't call him. I don't even know why I woke you up."

I grinned at her and hung the phone up. "Why Shayna, I do believe you're in luhuhuv."

"No. I just don't want you to wake them up."

"That's messed up. You care more about them getting their beauty rest than you do about your own roommate." I crawled back under the covers. "You suck Shayna."

I could hear her laughing as I quickly drifted back to sleep.

A few hours later, a loud brrrring! woke me up. I was so startled that I jumped out of bed and snatched up the phone.