Chapter 15

AUTHOR'S NOTE: THE SONG LYRICS USED IN THIS CHAPTER ARE IN NO WAY AN ATTEMPT ON COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT. THEY ARE JUST REALLY GREAT LYRICS.

**SONG LYRICS WERE NOT INCLUDED IN ORIGINAL COPYRIGHT OF THIS BOOK**

Kenney walked into Shipwreck with Shayna and me on either side of him, like he thought he was pimp of the world. When he escorted us to the same table that he and I usually sat at, I wondered for the first time if they actually reserved it for him. Drama looked over and smiled at Shayna. She smiled back and turned her twenty-four karat grin my way.

"He looks so cute up there!" she whispered, but not low enough to avoid Kenney's all-hearing ears.

"Yeah, yeah," he teased. "What about me?"

Shayna and I just looked at him and then at each other. Simultaneously we decided to ignore him and turned our attention back to Drama, who gave an upward nod to Kenney. Then Kenney rose from his seat and started walking toward the stage. Shayna and I looked back at each other in confusion. How was Kenney just going to bust in and roll up on stage like that?

"Yeah, I'd like to call my man Mo' Betta up to assist with this next one," Drama said, grinning, and chuckled when Shayna burst out laughing.

"Mo' Betta?" she asked me. I just shrugged.

"He's gonna help me out wit' a little somethin' that might take some a y'all back. And I'd like to dedicate it," he turned to us as Kenney slowly climbed the steps to the stage, "to a very beautiful young lady who told me that she only wants to be my friend today."

Shayna gasped and covered her face while Drama got a chorus of "Aws!" and "Drama, you ain't gotta be my friend!" from every other girl in the audience.

He ate it up, giving the crowd a good five minutes to heckle Shayna and praise him. I expected her to get angry, like I would have, but to my surprise she started laughing like it was the best joke she'd heard all day.

When Drama saw this, he winked at her. "But I still love you, girl. I ain't mad atchya." Then he started grinning wider and handed a microphone to Kenney, while placing his own back onto the mic stand and readjusting it.

As soon as they were situated, Kenney closed his eyes and opened his mouth as wide as he could.

"The very first tiiime..." he began, "that I saw your brown eyes..."

The entire audience went wild. One girl jumped up, almost knocking her man over and screamed, "No he didn't!" Shayna and I couldn't stop laughing.

"Your lips said hello and I said hi," Kenney continued to sing.

Drama harmonized the "hello" and then joined in. "I knew right then you were the one..." He looked right over at Shayna, whose smile instantly froze.

"What is he doing?" she asked me through clenched teeth, never once taking her eyes away from Drama.

"I'd say a heck of a good job! Who knew they could sing?"

Those boys got me that night. Sure Kenney was always goofing around acting like he could sing, but who knew that all this time he really could sing and was just acting like he couldn't? I couldn't believe my ears. The two of them sounded just like that group Shai, singing all four parts of the song. They even remembered all the words! Every last one. Nobody remembered all the words to that song by then. It was crazy.