Chapter 14

The next morning at what I just knew was the crack of dawn, the phone rang. I opened my eyes slowly and realized that my roommate had already left for her first class.

"Kenney," I snapped into the phone, "you're going to make me sorry that I ever gave you my number if you keep calling me every time I go to sleep."

"This isn't Kenney."

"Oh!" My heart jumped and then dropped. "Oh..."

"This is Collin."

"I know...now. Sorry about that."

"Not a thing. So...this Kenney harassing you or what?"

"What?"

"I mean, you sounded like he's stalking you or something."

"Oh...nah..." then I smiled. "You're the one who's stalking me."

Collin laughed. "Aw! That's messed up!"

"But true."

"No it ain't. Why would I stalk you when I know I don't have to?" What was I supposed to say to that? I opted for silence until he continued. "Well, anyway..." he went on quickly. Luckily the call waiting beeped in and interrupted him.

"Hold on Collin."

"No."

"Yes." Why was I smiling at this jerk anyway? I clicked over. "Hello?"

"Well, well. Nice to hear you smiling for a change."

"Kenney?" This time I wanted to make sure who I was talking to before I started running my mouth.

"Yeah," he said, like I should have known. "Who else would it be?"

"Oh...nobody. Look, hold on ok?"

"Aight."

I clicked back over. "Collin? I have to go."

"No."

"No? Who the hell do you think you are? I didn't even have to click back over to you and say anything at all. I should have just left your butt sitting right there until you got tired and hung up."

No?! The nerve of this fool!

Collin suddenly busted out laughing and couldn't stop. He laughed for a good minute, with Kenney still waiting on the other line, and then suddenly became serious.

"What?" I asked, more disturbed by the silence than the laughter.

"You haven't changed a bit." He said, chuckling. Then more seriously he added, "I just missed you, that's all."

For some reason, the way he said it made me click back over to Kenney. "Hey... Bud..."

"What?" I could tell he was ticked at me for making him wait so long.

"Um...hold on."

"Naw, you talkin' to ya boy?"

"Who?"

"You know who."

"Yeah. Can I call you back?"

"Don't worry about it."

"Kenney..."

"Naw, that's aight." Kenney was starting to get on my nerves with this jealousy crap.

"Kenney, I'll call you back."

"Ok. Whatever."

I sighed loudly as I clicked back over to Collin. "Hello?"