Chapter 20

The next day, Collin called and said that he read my poem and thought it was beautiful.

"Whatever Collin," was my only response. Luckily, Kenney clicked in on the other line before he had a chance to say anything else. "Hello?"

"'Sup Tashi?"

"Ain't nut'n. 'Sup witchyou?"

He groaned loudly. "You must be talking to that fool Collin."

I couldn't hold back my disbelieving laugh. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Not a thing. You just talk all gangster-like around him." I laughed even louder. "You ain't no gangsta," Kenney teased quietly.

"So...what?"

"What do you mean what?"

"I mean, what do you want, Bud?"

"Oh! So now I gotta have a reason to call you?"

"No, it's not that. It's just..." my voice trailed off as I heard the click of my other line disconnecting.

"Sounds like you just got hung up on."

I nodded into the phone. "Sounds like."

"So what happened last night?"

I stiffened. "What do you mean?"

"I mean wit' ol' boy. He looked pretty pissed."

"Nah, he was cool," I lied. "That's what I get for making two plans for the same night."

"What do you mean 'that's what you get'? What happened?"

I laughed, trying to play it off. "Uh! Why you so paranoid? Mind your own business. And speaking of..."

"Aw, here you go," he sighed loudly. "What?"

"You already know what. Don't try to blast me out on stage like that anymore. That's the second time," I emphasized, letting him know that there wouldn't be a third.

I could tell Kenney was grinning. "You know you liked it. I mean...that joint was all for you. You better have liked it."

I tried not to grin. "Whatever. I'm serious. What was all that crap about Collin roughin' me up, Kenney? You don't even know what the hell you're talking about."

"Oh, I don't, huh?"

"No. You don't."

He was suddenly serious. "I'll remember that."

"Yeah. So...what did Deidra have to say about your little stunt?"

"Not a thing. She's not into all that artsy stuff like we are, and neither are her people. And even if there was a chance that she heard about it, for all she knows I was talkin' 'bout her."

"Such the player."

"I was born into the game, baby. Don't hold it against me."

"Right...so..."

"So nuthin'. Just wanted to see what's up. Make sure I didn't have to hem that lame up for ac'n a fool."

"You're such a badass, Kenney."

"And you cuss too much, Tashi."

"Yeah," I sighed, thinking about Collin. "That's what they say. So tell me," I was suddenly curious, "You don't seem like the scrappin' type, Bud."