(Prologue) I'm a human living in an all vampire household...wait...what?!

Vote/Comment please ^_^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prologue

The cold wind slashed her face repeatedly as she made her way through the dense forest. The baby in her arms stretched its arms and yawned. Great, this was the last thing she needed: a hungry baby in the middle of a freak weather occurrence. She held the baby close to her, in hope of keeping it quiet for just a bit longer.

She heard a creak and a snap of tree branches behind her, but looking back, all she could see was the dark outlines of trees. Must have been the wind or something, she thought to herself, quickening her steps. She walked only a few metres further when she heard another creak and a snap.

"Who's there?" she called out. Silence. "Hello?"

A strong pair of hands found its way around her neck and she could feel something hovering just above her neck. Fear jolted through her.

"Please, please, let me go! Please, I beg you! Take anything, anything you want, just don't hurt me! Please!" she begged. The hands loosened slightly.

"Anything?" he said, teasingly. He laughed and the grip hardened around her neck again. "Don't you see, the only thing I want is you. Your blood."

"Please! Please! Spare me! Take anything...take the baby, just don't hurt me, please!" she cried, tears dripping down her face. The baby had woken up and sensed the fear. A little wail began but was smothered against her thick coat.

"Hmm...interesting...your baby's life...in exchange for yours?" he asked in an amused tone. The hands disappeared and a sudden coldness hit her stomach. The baby was gone.

"It's not mine. Can I go now? Please?" she asked, backing away from the dark figure.

"Run, if you run fast enough, I might just spare you,"he said, laughing in a deep voice. She turned and ran for her life, not daring to look back to see if she was being followed.

"Conrad! You just lost us our prey!" a high pitched voice screamed. Within a second, a face appeared before Conrad, a face writhing with fury.

"Lucretia, we've had more than enough. Why do you always chase after such insignificant beings?" Conrad replied in a calm voice.

"It's not just about whether we've had enough or not! It's the thrill in the chase, the adrenalin rush, you should know!" Lucretia screamed. A small giggle escaped from Conrad's coat which caught her attention. "What is that Conrad?"

"A baby human," Conrad said, lifting the baby high into the sky. "Can you see Lucretia? Most baby's can sense us and start wailing or whatever. Look at it, it's not scared of us at all...she's...special."

"Are you crazy? This is a human we're talking about! They are our PREY! How can you just take one home? She'll be killed before we walk in the door!" Lucretia yelled, looking bewildered.

"Tell me, if she didn't make a sound, would you have known she was here?" Conrad asked, playing with the baby.

"What's that got to do with anything?" Lucretia asked.

"When I was hunting that human down, I couldn't sense this baby at all. It's like she's not human, but she has a heart beat," Conrad explained. Lucretia calmed down and quietened. After a few minutes she looked back at Conrad with surprise.

"How can we not sense her? She is a human!" Lucretia asked.

"I'm not sure, but she coming home with us until we find out what she is," Conrad said, adjusting his coat so the baby snuggled comfortably in it.

"Ok, we'll have to warn the kids though," Lucretia sighed. "What's her name?"

"We'll call her...Alice..." Conrad said. He looked down at the baby who gurgled in approval. Conrad and Lucretia spread their wings and flew off towards the moon back to their home...