Part 30

Ashlyn

I pull the hem of my little black dress down as Rhett and I walk into the bar. It's not my usual scene, but after today he said I needed to get out of the apartment and back into life. He reaches for my hand and pulls me up to a chair, leaning in very close to yell in my ear over the loud music.

"What drink will obliterate him from your mind tonight?" He brings his face right in front of mine with a big grin. I love him for this almost as much as I hate him for making me do it.

"Vodka should do it," I answer with a smile. I tug the hem down once more and he stares at my cleavage and shakes his head.

"Quit tugging that dress down. If you tug it any lower your tits are going to fall out the top. I won't complain, but I don't think that's the look you're going for tonight." He slips his fingers into the top of my dress where my boobs meet my underarm and tugs it back up with a fatherly look. I stick my tongue out at him.

"I wanted to go out in my jeans," I remind him loudly.

"What fun would that be? You are supposed to be out here letting loose and looking for a man." As if he only reminded himself that he should be looking for a hook up too, he scans the bar.

"I don't want to look for anyone," I say it more quietly than before, hoping he doesn't really hear me.

"It's been two months, Ashlyn. Either get with him, or get with someone else. I can't take how tense you are. It's so bad that I feel the sexual frustration." He turns his attention back to the bar and the pretty bartender. "Four shots of Vodka, a Jack and Coke and a Vodka cranberry."

"What the hell, Rhett? I want to get buzzed, not slip into a coma!" He hands me my shot with a shrug of his shoulder.

"This should loosen you us a bit." We both take the shot, our faces pinching with the sting of it. I feel nothing. He hands me another shot and hold his up to toast with mine. "To getting you laid." He clinks my shot glass and we both down the Vodka. It hits all at once. My face feels heated and a warm sensation spreads out from my stomach to all of my limbs. He watches me with satisfaction.

"Better." I agree. He hands me my drink and leans in again, his chest against mine thanks to the crowd of people packed into this tiny bar.

His hand holds me firmly at the small of my back as he tells me, "You look beautiful tonight. If he saw you he'd want to do whatever it took to make you his. Let's just have some fun and solve all the world's problems tomorrow." I close my eyes and nod my head. When I open them, I can see the way the bartender is watching Rhett. She meets my eyes in apology but I shake my head with a smile and mouth, "Not mine."

Rhett spins me slightly as he tells me, "We've got a live one, missy. That guy has been watching you since we walked in here. I think if I don't let you go right now he might even try to kick my ass." He laughs and takes a step away. "Go get him tiger," he teases as he points back to the bar. "I think I might just grab a drink or two...maybe a few digits." So he had noticed the bartender. I bite my lip and nod my head. I hold my two fingers up like a peace sign and Rhett checks his watch. "See you at 2am unless I get lucky!" He shouts and I turn to find the man he was talking about. It only takes a second for our eyes to meet.

Mateo is standing near one of the tall bar tables, watching my every move. His eyes look hungry and possessive like he just caught another kid playing with his toy. I know it should make me angry, but instead I feel my cheeks flush hotter and my tongue slides across my lip. His eyes leave mine as they look me over from my lips to my toes and then back. It's hot and exciting, but when they meet mine again I see something else inside them. Jealousy? Anger? I'm not sure.

I break our eye contact and look around trying to find another familiar face in the crowd. He wasn't supposed to be here and now I want hide. I can still feel him watching me and when I look back at him, he folds the little red straw of his drink over the rim of the glass and pounds the entire thing, setting the empty cup down on the table. His three friends are now looking at me too and I have no idea what I should do about any of this. Finally one of the guys at the table elbows him in the side and says something I can't make out. Mateo shakes his head and turns around to face his friends, shutting me out completely. 

****VOTE SHARE COMMENT TY!!