Part 34

Ashlyn

We're all at the table now, Rhett and I along with Mateo and his two friends. One of them, Lucas, had to leave a few hours ago to catch a flight home to his wife. Listening to him talk about her and eventually show me pictures when it was clear he was getting drunk, was the sweetest thing ever. If I had to bet, I'd bet money those two are going to make it the distance. He is a star worshiping her like the moon.

Rhett is waiting for the bartender to get off work so he can take her home and most likely keep me up all night with the fun they are about to have. I look over at Mateo as he tells a story to Wes, a handsome young guy he calls Lee. I've never seen him this happy and watching makes me smile so big my own cheeks hurt. When the story is over, Mateo settles back down in his chair and puts his hand on my knee. He's been doing it all night, but as the hours have gone on and the alcohol has been drunk, that hand keeps roaming higher and higher and his proximity to my body is getting closer and closer.

"I wish you were coming home with me," he whispers in my ear. The heat of his breath fans out across my shoulder and I practically tremble. His friends are staying the night and I know from being in his place that there would be nowhere private for us to go. I also wouldn't expect him to ditch his friends to come back to my place. They are only in town for tonight and I can see how much he's enjoying their company. About twenty minutes before closing time, I tell him I can't make it any longer. I need to go home and go to bed before all the alcohol of the night makes a return visit all over our table.

"I'm going to ride with her to make sure she makes it ok," he announces to the table, pulling me to his side. "You guys catch a cab back to my place at closing and I'll meet you back there right after. Just leave the door unlocked." He tosses his keys to Liam. All of us are pretty drunk, having spent the last few hours drinking and getting to know each other. I'm not worried about anyone driving because we've all agreed to grab cabs home.

"Are you going to be ok?" I ask Rhett. His cheeks are a light pink, no doubt from the shots he's been taking. He laughs and shrugs his shoulders.

"We're going to find out," he says loudly, making Liam and Wes snort with laughter.

"You should quit now before you disappoint the poor girl," Liam teases. "She's been trying to loosen you up all night. Imagine her getting in your pants just to find out you can't close the deal. Another one down to whiskey dick."

Rhett flips him the bird, but pushes his last shot away. "Hasn't happened yet, but there's a first for everything." He looks at me through bloodshot eyes, "You Ok to go home with him. I'll take you if you would prefer."

I smile and shake my head. "I'm fine. Goodnight everyone!" I say a little too loudly and Mateo laughs as he tucks me beneath his arm to help hold me up as we step back from the table. We walk out of the bar and stand in the cold night air as we wait for the cab to come. Mateo wraps his arms around me, tucking my head beneath his chin as I rest my cheek on his chest. It feels so good to be held by him. Even though I can smell the whiskey on his breath, he still smells like himself and I inhale again, hoping to never miss it like I had these last few months.

"Come on sunshine," he says as he open the cab door for me to get in. I go in first, feeling his eyes on me as I try and fail to get in gracefully. He bites his lip and shakes his head as he climbs in behind me. We are only a few blocks away from my place and I hate that my time with him for tonight is almost over. I want to touch him, but I'm on his right side. I won't make that mistake again.

We ride in silence, but his hand reaches for mine and pulls it across his leg until my palm is flat against his thigh. He's looking out the window, watching lights go by and for a moment everything stands still for me. Time just seems to stop. He might not realize what he's done, but I do. I can feel the bumps beneath my palms and the way his skin feels harder there than just beyond my fingertips. I'm facing him, watching his face and trying not to get emotional about how far he's come.

When we stop for a red light, he turns to me and smiles. He uses his other hand to tuck some of my hair behind my ear and then says, "You really look beautiful tonight sunshine." He kisses me, more tenderly than before and I move my hand to his hair, trying hard to bring him closer. We kiss until we get to the end of my block. When he pulls away suddenly I try to figure out why.

"Stop here," he tells the driver and I try to correct him but he holds a finger up to his lips. He pays the driver and we watch him pull away.

"This isn't where I live," I inform him with a laugh.

"I know. I wanted to walk you home." I stop laughing and look into his eyes. He smiles at me shyly and I love the way it's barely visible from beneath his beard. "I've wanted to do this since that first night you were at my place. I just didn't ever want to hold you back." He takes my hand in his and pulls me towards my place. He has a slight limp, but it doesn't slow us down at all. We don't even talk. I just hold his hand and stay as close to him as possible, at times leaning my head on his shoulder. There are cabs everywhere, dropping off people after the bars have closed but it doesn't take away from this time together. I can't believe how far he's come in such a short time.

"Thank you for tonight," I say when we finally stop in front of my place. I kiss him deeply, holding onto his jaw so I can feel his beard beneath my fingers. His hands find my waist and hold tight, making sure there is not an ounce of space between us. "Do you want to come up?" I ask him hopefully. I know his friends should be back to his place at any moment and that Rhett and the lovely bartender will be here soon too.

"Yes, I definitely want to. Probably more than I've wanted to do anything in my life."

"But..." I say knowing already that one's coming.

"But you're drunk sunshine and so am I." He kisses my lips again but this time it's more chaste. "I've waited two months for you to invite me in," and we both know he isn't talking just about my place. "I want to remember every minute of it." He kisses my shoulder and I close my eyes, tipping my head to give him more access and with the hopes of feeling his rough beard along my neck. "I also want to make sure it's what you really want." His warm, wet lips run up my neck and then back down again. "I want your head to be clear when you give your heart to me."

I open my mouth to tell him that he already has it. It's been his for a long time now, but just as I'm about to say the words a cab pulls up. We step aside as the laughter and noises spill out of the open window. "Were at my place!" Rhett shouts and points at the building. He's completely trashed. It makes me giggle. The bartender opens the door and rolls her eyes. She's trying to seem annoyed, but I can see the small smile on her face.

"Let's get you to bed," she pleads, helping him out of the seat. I might stop her if he didn't tell me earlier not to cockblock him with her tonight. He made me promise no matter how drunk he got, I'd not get in the way of him taking her to bed. I'm not really that worried about it because right now I'd guess that tonight is going to be the first night he might experience some performance issues. The girl doesn't seem to mind. She has that look in her eye that hints at something deeper than a crush.

Rhett hands the cab driver a wad of bills and then waves him off. He wraps his arm around the girl's shoulder, and I'm pretty sure it's more to help him stay up than to guide her to our door. "See you in the morning." He whisper shouts in our direction and both Mateo and I chuckle and give him a wave. We watch them stumble up the stairs and get inside.

"Goodnight sunshine." 

"Goodnight Mateo." I get up on my tiptoes and kiss him one last time. He waits and watches to make sure I get inside safe.