Part 45

Mateo

I remember the way it felt when the bullets hit my leg. I remember the sound they made as they tore through my flesh and then my muscle until finally hitting the bone. I remember the weight of Pines as his head rested on my wounded thigh and he took his last breath. I watched the life leave his eyes and heard the slow exhale as all the air left his lungs for the last time. And then I remember the warmth of the blood—his and mine—as it began to seep from our bodies. It mixed together like a metaphor for the brotherhood we weren't given by birth, but we had earned in our time together as Marines. Until a few hours ago I believed it would be the only weight I'd ever remember and the last touch I'd be able to tolerate there. But now I know that I was wrong.

Ashlyn's breaths even out as she falls asleep and I hold her to me. I love the feel of her soft cheek against my chest, her smooth palm resting on my abdomen. I feel the slight tickle of her hair as it fans out across my shoulder and the amusing chill of her cold feet tangled with my own. But of all the places her body meets mine...the warm, healing weight of her thigh resting over my own is my favorite. Tonight I'll let her sleep, because in the morning I plan on doing whatever it takes to make this our new forever.

The End

*****PLEASE TAKE A MINUTE TO COMMENT, VOTE AND SHARE*** THANK YOU FOR READING!! MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW ME ON MY SOCIAL MEDIA OR ARE SIGNED UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER TO GET THE LATEST INFORMATION ON MY BOOKS. 

Some readers are asking for playlists and other extras. What would you want to see?  I will keep my promise to write a bonus chapter for Dear Bailey if this story hits top ten in the ranking.  Thank you!