Part 33

****Updating again!!! Thank me by voting, commenting and sharing. I will write a bonus Dear bailey chapter if Lean on Me hits top ten!

Mateo

She feels so good against me I worry I won't be able to walk out of here. Her hands are clutching my shirt, something I'd help her remove if we weren't in a dark hallway in a dirty dive bar. Her dress is killing me as it is, but now that I've mussed her up, the swell of her tits seems almost obscene and her dress is just inches from showing me the place that will most likely be my undoing. I feel the heat of her on my thigh and it's not until just now that I realize it's my injured leg and I don't care at all that she's touching it.

I slide my hands down her body, so fucking grateful that it doesn't belong to anyone else. My hands slip over her ass and I slide her against my leg just because I know it will driver her crazy before moving my hands lower and pulling the hem of her dress down to make sure she's covered. I want only my eyes on the skin beneath. "This dress is awesome," I say as I look down at her pressed against me. I wish we were back at my place so I could get her out of it because I know it would look even better on my floor. "I don't think I've ever seen you in a dress."

"I don't usually wear them." I didn't think her cheeks could get any more flushed, but they do.

"You've get killer legs, sunshine. And your other parts aren't bad either," I waggle my eyebrows and she giggles. Just like that we're back to how things were before I screwed them up.

"You're not so bad yourself," she replies. "What are you doing later?" I can see her pulse thumping away in her neck. She's anxious and I hate that my answer isn't the one she'll want to hear. I kiss her neck above her pulse.

"My friends are here from out of town. One of them is leaving tonight, but the other two don't get on a plane until tomorrow." I've missed them too, but if I had to choose, I'd want to spend my night with Ashlyn. Only I can't make that choice because they are staying at my place and it would be a total dick move. "What are you doing?" I ask because I want her to tell me she is going home. I want her to lock herself in and not let any other guy see her like this, all hot and ready because of what we've ben doing. I don't have the right to tell her any of that.

"I'm going to play wingman for Rhett. Try and see if he can get the bartender to take him home." The relief hits me hard and I laugh. Thank god I don't have to kill him.

"Don't leave here without me. I've been working on something. I want to make sure you get home safe too." Her eyes look at me curiously, but she nods her head. "I'll walk you back to the bar." I finally step away from her and she adjusts her dress. Then I hold out my hand and she takes it, causing my heart to soar with pride and contentment.

Her friend is sitting on a stool, leaning across the bar to spit game at the young woman behind it. She's clearly loving every minute, tossing her hair around and batting her lashes. He's for sure getting lucky tonight. Me on the other hand, I look over to the table to find my friends all making kissy kissy faces at me and I laugh. I'm not getting lucky tonight, but I've waited a long time to have Ashlyn by my side again and one more night isn't going to kill me.

"Rhett," she says, pulling the man's attention away from the girl behind the bar. "This is..." she doesn't have to finish because he's already holding a hand out to me.

"Mateo. I've heard a lot about you. I'm Rhett." We shake and I'm grateful I didn't come into this swinging because he's actually not a bad guy at all. Ashlyn excuses herself to go to the bathroom for real this time and we both watch her go. Me because I love watching her do anything, and him because he's looking out for her. It makes me wonder why he let us disappear together for so long. "She's a great girl," he says, sitting down again and looking pointedly at the seat beside him until I sit down.

"Yes she is." I'm still watching the hallway, nervous that some other guy is going to try to talk to her and I'll lose my shit.

"She's been unbearable the last few weeks. I don't know what you've done to get her this sprung on you, but whatever it is, you've got her." The bartender pours me my whiskey and then fills up a shot glass for him.

"I'm pretty gone myself," I answer before tossing the red straw and tipping the glass back.

"I saw that. It's the only reason I let you go after her. I don't know why the two of you haven't figured your shit out yet, but I think it would be best for everyone involved if you did it soon." He lifts his glass up in a toast and then takes the shot. I smile, strangely happy that she's been as on edge as I have.

"Thanks for looking out," I tell him as I see Ashlyn emerge from the hallway. "I'll take it from here." He looks me over for a minute and then nods his head.

Extending his hand out to shake mine he says, "If you break her heart—I'll mend it." His words seem innocent, but I know that was the most threatening thing a man could tell another man. I don't hate him for it, and I hope that he won't hate me for never giving him that chance.