Epilogue Part 1 Ashlyn

***THANK YOU!! Thank you for helping get this story in the top 20! Please enjoy this epilogue as a thank you gift from me to you! You're the best readers ever!!!*********

Ashlyn

I can see him from where I'm sitting across the street. I can't make out his features too well, but I just know that he's smiling. The line wraps around the building, so many different people waiting outside in the cold to get in. My stomach flips as I think about how much he hates being trapped in small places and I worry that his leg will hurt and there will be nothing he can do about it.

The last two years have been crazy for us. It started with the exciting experience of his book being published. I wasn't sure I was going to survive the process. It's so hard to watch someone you love be tortured with edits. Knowing that he put all the words on paper exactly how he wanted them, only to have an editor cut and chop, rearrange and make him write more, really hurt my heart. He never gave up and in the end, he came out victorious with a manuscript anyone would be proud of.

A man and a woman walk into the small coffee shop, their cheeks pink from the cold weather. "I had him sign an extra one for Lizzy. I just can't believe we were lucky enough to get the wrist bands." She unwraps her scarf from around her neck and sits down in an empty seat across from the man. He sets down the thick hardcover book he was holding and I smile. I know if you open that book and look inside at the back cover, Mateo's picture will be there. My Mateo.

"I was on that list for the last three months. There was nothing lucky about it," he answers. I take another sip of my hot chocolate and watch as the end of the line—the last people with wristbands—approach the glass doors. Mateo hates that he has to turn people away, but after last weekend when he signed books for so many hours his wrist swelled up and he could barely move it, his agent suggested we put a cap on the number of fans allowed in at a time and just add a few more days at each location. This is day three in Santa Monica and there is no question that the line is moving quickly because Mateo is in a rush to meet up with Lucas and Bailey.

I text Rhett a few pictures of the chaos and laugh when he sends me back a picture of himself on the bar above a large crowd. His bartender girlfriend is pouring shots and he is having a blast. We almost didn't make it through the rough patch in our friendship, but we both are fighters and managed to see it through. He told me just last week he is in love with her, and I cried like a baby at how happy I was for him.

I move to an overstuffed armchair in the corner and tuck my legs up. Every muscle feels so tired and I practically sigh at how good it feels to put them up. I can't see his book signing from this new location, so I close my eyes and rest instead.

"Wake up, sunshine," his familiar voice coaxes me from my sleep. It's dark now, the lights of the coffee shop are now on and the windows show the dark street beyond the shop. When he helps me stand up, I can see that the bookstore is finally closed. Mateo looks tired, but he's smiling. "Lucas is waiting. He said Liam and Juliet are already there. They're getting us a table. I smile and nod my head, stretching a little as he watches.

"Did you have fun?" I ask.

"Maybe for the first two hours," he holds up his wrist like it's broken and I roll my eyes.

"You love it."

"I do," he answers honestly. He pulls me a little closer and kisses my lips. I wrap my arms around him, missing the way I used to be able to hold him closer.

"That was quite the crowd." He smiles at my words and kisses me again like we haven't seen each other in a while. It's silly and makes me giggle because we have been together everyday for the last week. The doctor told me it was time to stop working until after our little girl is born. Mateo agreed and reluctantly I gave in. I love my job, especially since moving here allowed me to rent a space overlooking the ocean. I can hardly wait to go to work everyday so I can stare out at it every chance I get.

Lucas told me he'll teach me how to surf when I'm up for it, and Bailey promised she wouldn't take pictures until I got the hang of it. I only wish that Liam and Juliet lived closer so we could all spend time together. Mateo smiles down on my big belly and moves dramatically out of the way as if I'm going to knock him over, "Very funny," I say sarcastically. He chuckles and reaches to hold the door open for me. I step outside and breathe in the fresh air, growing more and more excited about living in California.

I watch as Mateo lets the door fall closed and then walks to where I am standing. He's come such a long way. You would never know the struggle he had to get there just by looking at him. He walks smoothly over to me and takes my hand. With a big smile and a little tug, he pulls me towards the small café and the friends that are waiting to be a part the rest of our lives. 

***Thank you for helping get this story up in the top 20! If we get enough votes, comments and shares to make top 10, I will post the Dear Bailey epilogue.**********