Part 37

Mateo

It feels as cold as ice in here, but the temperature is fine. Ashlyn looks through the cupboards but I can tell she isn't really paying attention to what she's trying to find. Something is off and I have a feeling it has more to do with the closed door at the end of the hall than it does with her quest to find a vase. I move behind her, leaning against the kitchen island and watching her open and close the cupboards mindlessly. She looks like she might cry and now I feel that protect instinct start to come to life inside my heart.

She stands with her back to me, staring into the cupboard in front of us. Her little blue dress rides up her perfect thighs and barely covers the bottom of her ass. She looks beautiful just like I knew she would. It's such a stunning sight and I can't stop watching her move around, even if I know she's accomplishing nothing. Finally, I step up behind her and put my hands on her shoulders. She freezes at my touch and lets out a breath she's been holding.

"Ashlyn," I say softly, running my hands down her arms until she lowers them from the cupboard handles. I hold her at her biceps, squeezing just enough to get her attention. "What just happened?" I spin her around so that I can look her in the eyes. There is so much going on behind them, but she doesn't speak. "I get the feeling you aren't going to find what you need in this kitchen." She looks down at our feet, but I slide my hands down her arms until I'm holding her hands. "Tell me what happened."

Her hair is curled and she's pulled a section of it back with a small clip. She smells like apples again and something sweeter. The gloss on her lips shines as she pulls the lower between her teeth, worrying it as she thinks about her answer. "It's a long story," she says and I know she's just trying to get out of sharing it.

"I've got all night." She doesn't know me very well yet, or she would know that I'm a persistent guy. I'm getting this answer even if I have to pry it out of her like a dentist removing a bad tooth. Once it out, she'll feel much better.

She looks in the direction of the hallway and confirms my theory that Rhett has something to do with it. If she'd just spit it out, I could get on to the beating his ass part of the evening. I must move, even if I don't realize I'm doing it, because she squeezes my hands and tugs them back to her. "I'll explain it all at dinner." I look from her resolved expression to the hallway and back. Trying to decide if I really need the whole backstory or if her being upset is reason enough to go find him.

I've been turning his words to me at the bar over and over in my head. I thought he was just being a protective friend at the time, but his threat to mend her heart has begun to burn a hole in my stomach and leave a sour taste on my tongue. Truth be told, I don't want any other man near her heart to begin with. If he wants a shot at it, he's going to have to pry it from my fingers because once she gives it to me I'm keeping it forever. "Dinner is a long way away from that door at the end of the hall," I reply, not really bothering to hide my unspoken promise of doing something to her roommate if the story reveals an action by him that I don't agree with.

"That's why it's best to tell it somewhere else." She releases one of my hands and lifts up to kiss my cheek. "Come on. Let's get out of here." She tugs on my arm and leads me out of the kitchen back to the living room. She won't even look down the hall now and my gut is churning with dread and curiosity. I have a feeling I'm not going to like what she's working herself up to sharing. She tucks a clutch purse beneath her arm and opens the front door, inviting me to step outside.

I look at her for a moment wanting to insist I be told right now, but she really doesn't owe me anything. I take a few steps so that I'm standing so close the toes of our shoes are touching. I lift her chin with my fingers so that I can see her eyes which are filled with sadness instead of her usual bright happiness, "You look absolutely beautiful tonight, but someone has stolen your shine." I lean in and brush my lips against hers because I can't wait another minute. "I won't stop until I get it back." I guide her chin a little closer until her lips part and invite me in. 

****Don't you have a friend that should be reading this? Tag them in the comments!! Also please share on social media and remember to vote! XOXO