chapter twenty seven

♡♡♡

6.30.16 | 2 Days.

My mum continuously glanced at me as we drove across the town to Harry and Violet's rehearsal dinner. I was trying to avoid eye contact as much as I could, but it was kind of difficult when every two seconds I felt her eyes on me.

"You know, I worry about you sometimes." My mum finally says as she pulled into a parking spot and I rolled my eyes.

"Why? Is this about me not having a date to Harry's wedding?" I asked, "Because I'm fine, really."

"Oh I know you can dance alone and you'll still have a good time." My mother chuckled softly, "But you're always fine."

"So?"

My mother sighed unbuckling her seat belt. "I don't know. I think that you got too good at being strong."

"What do you mean?" I inquired glancing at her from the corners of my eye.

"I'm telling you to be hurt. Stop hiding the fact that it breaks you on the inside seeing Harry with another girl."

I bit the inside of my cheek trying to suppress the tears that were stinging my eyes.

"I know you still love him."

"I don't want to." I told her my voice firm. "Am I crazy?"

"No, of course not. It just makes you human." My mother continues, "Part of me wishes Harry would realize how much he's hurting you."

"He's not doing it on purpose." I shook my head.

"I know that." My mother replied, "I just hate seeing you acting like you're fine when I know it' killing you."

"I'm not acting. I truly am ok." I reassured her.

I felt like I was always reassuring people that I was fine because they never truly believed me. I have already accepted the inevitable fate of Harry and Violet's wedding, there was nothing more I could do but be fine.

My mother simply nodded her head and went to open the car door.

"Mum, wait..." I quickly called after her and she shut the door and looked back at me with curiosity. "There's something I should tell you."

"Yes?" My mother inquired waiting for me to say something after moments of silence.

"I got a job offer." I said the words quickly rushed out of my mouth.

"What?" She exclaimed a grin growing wide on her face, "Em that's amazing! I am so proud of you!"

"I am to be a co-editor at Q Magazine." I told her biting my lip slightly as I smiled at her.

Her smile than dropped and was replaced with furrowed eyebrows and pouted lips. "Q Magazine? Where is that?"

My smile faded as well as I quickly closed my lips together tightly and bit my cheek.

"Emily, where is it?" My mother asked once again becoming rather concerned.

I inhaled deeply and then sighed, "New York."

"New York?" My mother gasped, "As in the City? Across the Atlantic?"

I nodded my head matter-of-factly, hoping she would accept the idea of me leaving.

"And you're sure about this?" She inquired cautiously her eyebrows raised creating multiple creases in her forehead.

"Yes." I stated determinedly. "It's time for me to start a career and this is just such an amazing opportunity I can't turn it away. I need to move on and start a new life of my own."