chapter thirty seven

♡♡♡

By the time I arrived in New York City, it was only eleven o'clock. This time difference and jet lag will definitely disrupt my sleep schedule, but since I was going to be here for a long time I knew I would get used to it.

I walked into the main lobby of the office building where my apartment would be and toward the reception desk, my suitcase trailing behind me.

"Hi," I smiled weakly, my arm growing tired of holding onto my bag and suitcase.

"Ah, you must be Emily," the woman grinned typing something on her computer and then opening a drawer, "We've been expecting you."

At first I wondered how she knew who I was. But then I remember that I wasn't from here, and my accent stuck out like a sore thumb. She must've been told that a confused British girl, named Emily Williams, would be arriving later this evening.

My eyebrows rose as I took the key from her, "Thank you."

I walked toward the elevator, and pressed nine waiting for it to bring me up. I anxiously made my way out of the elevator, both excitement and nervousness spread throughout my body; I honestly had no idea what to expect walking into my new home.

9-D

The key fit perfectly in its slot and I inhale slowly. Grabbing my suitcase from behind me, I open the door of my new apartment. I turn on the light by the door and look around. It's everything I dreamt it would be. I'm not sure why I was so worried.

I closed the door behind me as I enter the house. The living room extended into the kitchen with an island in the middle of the room with three white chairs. The windows on the back wall opened up to the city skyline giving me an amazing view. It had a welcoming atmosphere that practically made me feel as if this has been my home all my life. The room was definitely bigger than I expected, but I wasn't complaining.

I walked into the bedroom and saw a desk pressed against the window, just like it did in my room back home. Except when I looked outside, instead of seeing Harry's window, I saw nothing but bright lights ahead.

I felt like I was missing half of me, and the other part was miles away. Hell I was an entire ocean away.

I was completely alone.

I drop my backpack beside the chair and grabbed my phone out of my back pocket. Though I knew she was going to be asleep, I sent my mum a text anyways so she would be content with knowing that I'm safe.

I scrolled through my messages in hopes of seeing a text from Harry, but there was nothing. It's not like I was expecting one, but it would've been nice.

I look out once again at the bright lights. The sound of traffic on the streets outside and the soft raindrops on the window fill my ears. I let out a sigh as I continue telling myself that this was the right decision. I needed to move here. It was for the best. This was where I was supposed to be right now in my life.

"Emmie."

Out of complete and utter panic I grabbed the lamp from the desk firmly in my hand and turned around to face the intruder.

The man stepped back, his hands out in front of him. His green eyes alarmed and his lips pressed together in a thin line.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." He took a breath and exhaled a lighthearted chuckle, "I didn't mean to scare you."

"Harry?" I breathed as he walked closer toward me. "What the hell?" I shouted in disbelief placing the lamp back on the desk.

"You know, you should probably keep your door locked at all times. You're living in a big city now, Em, this isn't Holmes Chapel anymore," he began walking over toward me a smirk growing on his face. "You never know who will come across your apartment, and easily walk in."