chapter twenty eight

♡♡♡

6.30.16 | 2 Days.

The moon was bright enough to illuminate the whole river. It's reflection shown in the cloudy waters that cascaded over rocks and pebbles. I spied the trail of stars above, enlightening the dark sky.

Perfect landscapes like this were both rare and wondrous. But out of all the unlucky things in my life, I had been enchanted with this magical and special place. When something bad or saddening would happen, then I would just run here. It was our secret hiding spot. My escape.

I cried for hours. The tears soon became acid rain, plaguing the tired crevices of my eyes. My cheeks were red and my eyes puffy. But I stopped once it struck me that it would get me nowhere, and what was to come, would come. Nothing was going to stop it.

Perchance, I could have known all along, very deep down, that this was how it was going to end. Though the hope was still there somewhere in the back of my mind, I wouldn't allow myself to set up for failure. If I couldn't love him as a lover, I would love him as a friend. I just needed to accept it.

Although I wasn't feeling any better. I just kept thinking of the concept of living on, happily, without Harry in my life, was useless. I would stay hurt for good that way. But over time, I knew I would be able to find my happiness too, like Harry did with Violet.

My phone buzzed by my thigh.

Harry- you're not home.

Me- No

Harry- So where are you?

Me- Take a lucky guess.

Shortly after the message was sent I heard footsteps creep up from behind me. I turn around looking at my favorite person in the world walking over toward me. He had changed out of his nice clothes he had been wearing for the dinner. He was now wearing a flannel, some gray sweats and his sneakers.

"Hey," he greeted as he slumped down beside me. Harry leaned back, his hands on either side of him. He looked up at the sky with the same admiration he had growing up.

"Hi."

"Why did you leave so early from the rehearsal dinner?" He asked his tone upset.

"I-"

"I mean, I know it's boring," he rolled his eyes before I could even come up with an excuse, "But the food was good. And you could have at least stayed...for me."

The concerned part of my heart ached with remorse. I didn't like the way his willow eyes were looking at me, saddened. "I'm sorry, Harry. I just...I wasn't feeling too well."

"Oh..." he stated looking down and then back up at me, "Have you been crying?"

He leaned in closer, his face inches from mine. I couldn't help the butterflies that were growing in my stomach, "Your eyes are puffy. What happened?"

"Don't worry about it," I shrugged, bringing my knees to my chest.

"Emmie, the last time you told me not to worry about something you were being bullied."

If only he knew who the bully was.

"Harry, you can't always protect me."

"Emmie come on," Harry whispered rolling his eyes, "I will always protect you."

Liar.

"I know what will cheer you up," he smiled deviously, "Knock knock."

"No Harry, please don't-"