xii

The Flames had one game left before the Christmas break, and as much as Paige wanted to go, she couldn't. She was bedridden, using up an entire box of tissues in one day, and drinking three bottles of Gatorade in one night. Paige was miserable. She had been looking forward to this game all year, even before she met Johnny. They were playing her favorite team, the Hawks tonight, and Paige was too bummed she was missing the game. Amber knocked on her door, "Me and Viv are on our way out. Do you need us to pick anything up for you after the game?"

Paige pulled her blanket around her, "More cold medicine. More Gatorade. A miracle."

"I'll see what I can do. Feel better!" Amber blew her a kiss before closing the door.

Paige was a mess. She was surrounded by three blankets, a pile of used tissues, empty drink bottles, and sadness. She couldn't stop coughing or blowing her nose, and she felt like death. Her phone vibrated on her nightstand. She grabbed it and unlocked it with her eyes closed, since the brightness hurt her eyes. She turned it down all the way and squinted at her screen.

Johnny 🏒❣
Feel better! 😊
Maybe I'll score a few for you

Paige
haha maybe. good luck tonight 😘💘

Paige picked herself up from her bed and moved to the couch. Her phone vibrated again, this time it was a snapchat from Johnny. It was a photo of him in his usual pre-game suit, with a black beanie on his head. She snapchatted him back a photo of her on the couch, looking sad, wearing a big Flames shirt, yoga pants, and glasses. Her hair was up in a messy bun and she wasn't wearing any makeup. She added the caption, "got a flames shirt on but go hawks" just to mess with Johnny a little bit. He snapped her back a selfie, saying that she was still beautiful, even if she was a Hawks fan. Paige laughed.

/////

Amber and Vivienne got to the Saddledome, walking around for a little bit before getting to their seats. On their way, they bumped into Sam. Amber, who is greatly friendly, waved to him and gave him a smile. Vivienne dreaded this moment. Sam stopped to talk to them, "Hey, how's it going?"

Amber shrugged, "It's going."

Vivienne did nothing but stare down at the ground. Amber noticed, and decided to bolt out of there, "Well I'm gonna go grab me and Viv some drinks, have fun kids!" She walked away, knowing she put Vivienne in a bad spot, but she also knew she had to do it.

"So..." Sam started.

"So..." Vivienne reiterated.

"I didn't mean it. I'm really sorry. I was mad and frustrated and sad and nervous and... I'm just really sorry. I shouldn't have blew up on you. I knew all you wanted to do was be there for me, and I took it the wrong way." Sam said, grabbing her shoulders and looking her straight in the eyes.

Vivienne sighed and nodded, "I'll see ya." She walked to her seat while Sam walked to the press box. She was still traumatized by what Sam said to her. Sure, it was reassuring to know he didn't mean it, but it was also upsetting to know that he said that to her in a fit of rage. It was unfair. She felt frustrated towards him, and she still didn't know what to do.

/////

The game ended well for the Flames. They won in overtime, with Johnny getting the game-winning goal. After the game, Amber waited for Sean outside the locker room, while Vivienne just headed home. Amber figured she would just get a ride home from Sean and Johnny. The boys came out, grinning at Amber. They all decided to grab a bite to eat after the game.
They sat at a booth of some modern diner in downtown Calgary, eating a lot and conversing a little. Amber cleared her throat, "So, Johnny? What did you get Paige for Christmas?"