xxiv

Vivienne sighed as she sprawled herself out on Sam's bed. Sam was currently packing for a short road trip, but Vivienne was less than amused, since it happened to fall on Valentine's Day.

"Look, I know you aren't happy with me leaving for Valentine's Day, but come on. It's a short trip, and I have lots of things planned for us." Sam stopped folding a shirt to kiss Vivienne.

She just sighed, "I would just like to spend the day with you, Sam."

"I know. It sucks," He frowned, "But I promise. I'll make it up to you."

Vivienne smiled and sat on the floor to help him pack, "Still stupid. Stupid Flames. Stupid NHL. I'm boycotting."
She gave him a peck and then folded his shirts for him.

He laughed, "If that makes you happy, then be my guest. I'd like to keep my salary though."

/////

Johnny and Paige were currently in the same boat. Paige watched Johnny as he held up two ties, deciding which one to bring on the trip. She sat up in his chair, crossing her legs, "Two games. Two ties."

He looked at her like she was stupid, "What?"

"I'm just saying. You don't want to be an outfit repeater, John." She chuckled.

He growled as he packed both ties into his suitcase. How was Paige always right?

Paige got up and walked down the hall to Sean's room to check on him. She had been doing that often lately, making sure he was holding up. And he was barely doing so. Sean was basically at the point where he listened to Drake every night and cried in his room. Except Paige hadn't caught him in the act. Yet. She knocked lightly on his door, "Sean?" A faint muffle came out of the room, which Paige took as a cue to enter. He was still laying in bed, his room a mess. But at least a suitcase was out. And packed. This was progress, or something of the like. "If you need anything, just yell for me." Paige patted his hair and smiled before she left the room.

"I need everything." He frowned.

"I'll try my best," Paige whispered, shutting the door. She skipped back down the hall to Johnny's room, where he packed everything he needed, smiling at himself in satisfaction. Paige sat back in his chair, "Good job. You almost did a better job than Sean."

He smiled, "There's progress. I'll let you know how the next two days go."

"Please be gentle with him."

Johnny nodded and gave her a soft smile. Paige cared so much about Sean, someone who she should have hated for hurting her best friend. And though her loyalty to Amber stood by not meddling in their relationship, she still helped Sean through whatever he needed. She'd get him food, clean his room, listen to his feelings, take care of him, everything. Paige took Sean under her wing, growing close with him.

Johnny moved from the floor to his bed, patting the empty spot next to him. Paige sat down and rested her head on Johnny's shoulder. "So much is happening." She whispered.

"I know." He rested his hand on her thigh.

/////

The boys had to leave the day after, leaving a void in Paige and Vivienne's hearts for Valentine's Day. At least they had each other. And Amber... if she wasn't yapping on the phone to Connor.

Paige sat on the floor of Vivienne's room, sighing. The two had heard Amber laughing from the next room over, and they were in a big dilemma. She was happy, but they both knew it wasn't good for her. Amber did nothing but bend herself backwards for Connor when they dated, and he never did anything for her. It was always like that. Amber would convince herself that she was in love with him. It was hard to hate Connor, he was arguably the nicest guy ever, but he was horrible for Amber.

"What are we gonna do?" Paige nipped at the skin around her fingernails.

Amber barged into Vivienne's room, "Hey! I'm going to Edmonton to see Connor. Is anyone else down?"

Vivienne furrowed her eyebrows, "When?"

"I'm leaving tomorrow, and then I'm gonna stay a couple days."

"So, you're skipping Galentine's Day?" Paige piped up. Galentine's Day was a tradition between the three; they always celebrated it together, treating themselves and having fun. It would be different without Amber.

Amber frowned, "So I guess no one's coming?"

"School." Vivienne said.

"Work." Paige added.

Amber huffed and shut the door. She left early the next day, grabbing heart-shaped donuts and leaving them for Vivienne and Paige. She felt bad that she had to leave them today, but ever since her and Sean broke up, all she wanted to do was see Connor. Maybe it was because she missed him, or missed being with someone, but she wanted to see Connor. She drove the three hours to Edmonton and made it to Connor's apartment. He welcomed her with a smile.

Vivienne and Paige sat on the couch, eating donuts and watching movies. The lull of the movie was in the background of both of their thoughts.

Vivienne broke the silence, "What are we gonna do?" She echoed the same question that's been nagging at Paige's mind as well.

Paige sighed, "Well we can't meddle. Maybe we'll just let it happen. Be supportive. We can go for the I told you so later."

Vivienne smiled, "Right."

/////

Paige woke up at 8 AM the next morning for work, checking her phone impulsively. She had a billion follow requests, and at the bottom of her notifications showed the reason why. Johnny had posted a picture with her. It was a mirror selfie they took a while back, of Johnny in his suit and Paige in her jersey and leggings. He was taking the picture, while she was hugging him from the side and smushing her face against his chest.

@johngaudreau03: I'm so happy you decided to stick around even through the early practices, long road trips, bad games, late flights, and everything in between. Thanks for always being my biggest fan and cheering for me every single game. I love you so much, and I'm sorry I'm not in Calgary today but I'll see you soon ❤️ Happy Valentine's Day! @paige_ellis ☺️

Paige squealed as she read it. Johnny was never the cheesy one, but she was glad he did that today. She posted one of her own, of Johnny smiling from across a table, gripping a coffee mug in his hand.

@paige_ellis: Ahhh it's gonna be difficult to put how strongly I feel into words, but Happy V Day to this boy ☺️ Thank you for the coffee dates, back scratches, naps, movies, etc etc. Never really thought that some random guy from the bar would become my favorite human but life is kinda funny sometimes. I'll always be your biggest fan, John. 💕

Paige posted it and scrolled through the rest of her Instagram feed as she ate her cereal. Sam posted a photo of Vivienne cuddling, her head against his chest and her face half-buried in a blanket.

@sbennett_93: Happy Valentine's Day to my favourite girl. Miss you lots. ❤️ I love waking up to your smiling face, watching you study, holding your hand as we walk through art museums, hearing your laugh, and I mostly love your existence in general. You're the best. @vivdietrich #soft

Viv was probably gonna cry when she woke up.

/////

Amber growled as she scrolled through every happy couple post on Instagram. Connor noticed, "You okay?"

"Yeah."

And that was probably the only conversation they had all day. They didn't even speak in the car on the way to the game. Amber thought that it was because it was game day, and Connor had to stay focused. It was like this back in the day too. Connor was just bad at communicating. Connor was just busy. Connor had a lot of things on his mind. Amber excused him for every little thing a while ago, and she was quickly learning that old habits didn't dissipate over time.