xix

January went by quickly, and before anyone had a real grasp on time, Johnny was already packing for the All-Star Game.

"You're sure you don't want to come?" Johnny unfolded and re-folded a slate gray polo for the third time before Paige snatched it from his hands and folded it swiftly and perfectly.

She sat on the edge of his bed, "Very sure. It's Amber's birth week, I have school and work, and I'm sure you'll be too busy drooling over Jagr that you won't pay attention to me all weekend."

Johnny shrugged, "Fine." He motioned for her to sit on his brimming suitcase. Paige, being even smaller than Johnny, sat on it and bounced so everything would compact together and he could zip it up. Johnny was able to close the suitcase, giving Paige a kiss as a reward for helping him pack his clothes.

She remained seated on the suitcase, "Hockey bag?"

Johnny groaned. If there was one thing he didn't want to do anymore, it was pack. He gave her a wide-eyed look, practically begging for her to pack his gear for him. She shook her head and left the room. She yelled from the hall, "No way in hell I'm touching your gear, Johnny!"

/////

Sean stared at Amber. Amber stared at Sean. Her arms were crossed and her lips were pursed in concentration. She was thinking about the various ways of killing him. Or at least muting him. They had spent the entire day talking about her birthday, which was coming up this weekend, and she wanted to go all out. Sean, on the other hand, wanted an "intimate get-together." But it wasn't his birthday.

He'll let her have this one.

He put his hands up in defense, "Fine. You can go all out."

She smirked, "Good. Because I wasn't gonna let you win this war anyway. Paige is gonna be sad she can't be with Johnny, but she'll be with me, and what's better than me?"

Sean opened his mouth to speak and quickly shut it.

He'll let her have this one too.

He rested his head on her shoulder, "You know, I don't really know why Paige isn't going to Nashville with Johnny this weekend."

"Because who wants to go to Nashville? Plus, he'll be way too busy. And have we forgotten that my birthday is coming up?"

"The kid's never gonna be too busy for her. And you'll always have lots of birthdays. All-Star games aren't guaranteed every year."

Amber moved his head from her shoulder and gave him a look, "Birthdays aren't guaranteed either, idiot." She stormed off to her room.

"Where are you going?" He yelled after her.

"To bed."

"Amber, it's 3:30 PM!"

"Time isn't real!"

/////

Johnny stuffed his suitcase and hockey bags in Paige's trunk. He shut the door and a loud thud came upon the car. Paige remained in the driver's seat as he got his items situated, and he hopped right next to her when he was finished.

He gave her a quick kiss and she smiled as she started her car, "Ready?" She asked.

He fiddled with his phone, "Ready as I'll ever be."

"Nervous?"

"Maybe a little."

"You always are," Her right hand let go of the wheel, finding Johnny's left hand and gripping it. He rubbed his thumb over hers, "You'll be okay."