xxiii

Paige's phone rang as she organized her makeup.

Johnny 🏒❣
Pregame nap?

She smiled at the text; her and Johnny took naps before his games often--everyone was pretty much convinced that half of their time was spent in bed. Paige threw her makeup in her makeup bag, and grabbed a jersey for the game tonight. She would just get ready for the game at Johnny's. Paige drove to Johnny's in record time, running up to his apartment and knocking on the door. Sean answered and frowned when he saw Paige. She had to have known the news. She frowned back at him, and they said no words to each other has Sean sat back down at the table to finish his food and Paige walked to Johnny's room.

When she got there he was already laying in bed, wearing a hoodie and sweatpants. Johnny smiled when Paige opened his door and set her purse and jersey down on his dresser. Paige silently climbed into bed next to him, and he pulled her closer as they dozed off.

/////

Amber curled her hair, making sure it looked just right. Vivienne sat on the edge of Amber's bed, typing on her phone to Sam, who wanted to get caught up on the situation.

"Still making Monahan regret it?"

Amber let go of the curling iron, letting a strand of her hair fall and bounce against her chest, "Of course I am. He's a piece of shit."

Vivienne nodded. Amber's phone rang with a text from Connor.

Connor McDonnor 👦🏼
See you later tonight!😄

Amber's phone was on her bed next to Vivienne, and Vivienne got a peek at it before she locked it again. She was so Team Sean, but she couldn't admit it, or Amber would literally strangle her to death.

/////

Paige and Johnny woke up from their nap, Paige stretching and accidentally hitting Johnny in the face with her arm. She giggled as she got up, taking her makeup bag out of her purse. She hopped back in bed, "Wake up. Game night. C'mon. Wake up." Paige kissed Johnny's cheek between sentences.

He grunted, "I'm up," Johnny turned his head to give her a peck, "I'm up."

She grinned, "Good. Now go get ready."

Johnny got up and headed to the bathroom to go shower, and Paige sat on the floor in front of his floor-length mirror to apply her makeup. She finished just as Johnny came out of the bathroom freshly showered with his suit on. Paige grabbed the tie she got him for Christmas, and carefully tied it for him. She handed him a beanie as well, "Ready?"

He nodded at her and she led the way out. The two ran into Sean on their way out, who was still frowning.

"I'll see you in a few." Johnny waved goodbye to him as him and Paige walked out.

Paige got in Johnny's passenger seat and sighed, "I feel so bad."

"For Sean or for Amber?"

"For Sean! You can't say anything, but Amber's all in love with McDavid again," She fastened her seatbelt as Johnny started the car, "Sean's so in love with her, I'm kinda bummed they broke up."

"He's passive and she's aggressive. It happens."

Paige looked out the window, "Yeah, I guess."

They stopped at a red light and Johnny gazed over at her, "It's okay to be concerned about your best friend. I'm concerned about mine too."

Paige turned her head to make eye contact with him and kept the frown on her face. They pulled up to the arena, Johnny parking in his usual spot. Paige saw Edmonton's team bus and all she could think about was Connor. The same Connor that ruined her best friend for so long, but at the same time, he was so kind.