7.

So sometimes adventures begin as life changing revelations that throw your world into complete disarray. No, I'm not being dramatic, it's just that not every new chapter in life begin with smiles and sunshine. I should have known something was up, walking into my office one idle Wednesday, my head smarting from the drinks I'd consumed the night before. If I'd known what was going to happen I'd probably not have bothered coming into work at all.

But burying my head in the sand wasn't really an option. I never shied away from my problems. There was no point prolonging suffering. It only stung more in the end. I faced everything head on. That's why people put their trust in me, because I thrived on pressure.

That day everything seemed as normal, I took a few calls, attended an appointment at a beauty parlor for the unveiling of a range of fake tan products we'd been marketing. Then I came back to the office, had a tuna bagel and knuckled down under a pile of paperwork. I heard my door swing open, but I just assumed it was Janine. She'd been taking mid afternoon breaks recently, just so she could stretch her legs and ease her sickness. She often popped by to see if I needed anything.

'An espresso....and a doughnut...' I called out, adding 'Please' a moment later. You know, because I didn't want to be rude.

'James Dean.'

A faintly recognizable voice filled the room. A female voice. Past conquest maybe? Ex colleague? Ex client?

Raising my head, I took in the image of a woman I'd never be likely to forget. For all the wrong reasons. In that vile cape and beret, the train woman scowled at me. I remembered the way she'd sassed me, on that fateful day when the train broke down and I lost my cool with a fellow passenger.

'They say the third times the charm....I'm not so sure.' She hissed, laying her fringed bag down on the chair opposite mine. 'What's wrong? You don't remember me? You look a little shocked, James.'

I stood up, chair spinning backwards, calling out to Janine. Security needed to get in here and drag away my insane train stalker. Before I could say another word, she confronted me, standing inches from my face. She smirked at me, venom in her glaring eyes.

'Remember that night at ICE? The club? In the cloakroom?' She spat, hand on her hip.

I swallowed.

'Do you want me to announce your joyful news to the whole damn office?'

I searched her eyes. Crazy lady seemed deadly serious. This could not be happening.

'Janine. It's fine, can you close my door?'

Janine passed me a quizzical look, eyes skimming across the lunatic gracing the room. Then she left. I knew what was on her mind. This wasn't the sort of woman James Dean associates with. And she was right. She wasn't. And she was freaking me out. A lot. I'll admit it.

'Look' I stood up, towering over her. I had to use intimidation, if thats all I had over the diminutive loon 'I don't know what your problem is, or how you know about the club, but I told you lady, not in a million years.'

'I was drunk asshole. You pestered me the whole night. I noticed you watching, and then my judgement decreased with every drink and we ended up in the cloakroom. You want proof? Here!'

She thrust her smartphone at me, on the screen, a photograph of her and her friends.

And my stomach felt like it was about to drop through my feet.

Definitely her.

In the red dress. Not in a cape. Or a beret. That curvaceous, drool inducing figure.....She was standing by the bar, posed for a group shot. This was no trick of photoshop. I'd fucked the crazy train lady. That's what you got I guess, for all the years of shagging every woman that takes your fancy. I could almost hear Jen saying those words. Or Rusty. Or Gregor. The defective bachelor.