31.

Franc was a dependable guy, and like everyone, even the poor bastards that I had to let go, he'd do anything for Radspace. I guess if you're with a group of people for long enough you don't wanna let them down. And he wouldn't. The guy had kids. The guy took pride in his work. But then so did Sable. Or so I thought. Right now, my priority was Kennedy. My brain told me to stay in the office, address the chaos and see justice be delivered to that malicious fucker. My heart however, told me otherwise. I had this nagging feeling in my gut. Like if I didn't get there, we'd never get it back, we'd never get a chance to feel like we had in Europe. The walks on the beach in Ibiza and how she allowed me to hold her while she fell asleep. Why hadn't I committed every second to memory?

I felt intimacy.

I felt real.

I felt alive with her.

I rang Jen's buzzer over and over. No answer. It was getting late. Maybe Jen was out with Lucas. Maybe Kennedy was out with her. Maybe they'd gone out clubbing and right now my girl could be puckering up to some randy prick looking for one night in paradise. I felt a wave of pure, unadulterated, raw anxiety pulsing through my veins and I hammered on the door to the building. Jen's door man came hurrying into view, his eyes questioning mine, before throwing open the door.

'Eric.' I was panting, why was I panting? I hadn't been running? 'Eric you need to let me upstairs.'

'What's the problem son?' The kindly faced Jamaican man cocked his head to one side, 'Everything cool?'

'Its fine. It's fine, honestly, I just need to get up there.'

Eric shrugged. 'I'll buzz the door open for you, but you call if you need anything.' He patted me on the back, and that sliver of comfort made me far more prepared to face Kennedy. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator, I nearly fell flat on my face, slipping over the last step and catching myself on the rails. Darting down the corridor, I burst through Jen's door. Jen's open door. I didn't take note of the splintered door frame and I didn't expect the reception I recieved.

Clark Sable stood there, hovering above my sister. It was definately her, dark blonde hair fanning out on the expensive Persian carpet. Jen. Fuck.

She appeared to be unconscious, and my mind went straight to Eric downstairs. How had he bypassed the guy? And then I focused in on the son of a bitch, currently holding a glock. I'd played a lot of computer games in the past, and here it was, a genuine firearm in my sisters living room.

'What the hell did you do.' My voice raised an octave. I didn't like the way it sounded.

'Where is she.' Clark's usually compliant, usually friendly blue eyes, were an icy grey. He pointed the pistol at me, clicking off the safety, and I gulped. I was shit in a fight, throw in a gun and I may as well jus lie here and let him do his worst.

'Where is who?'

I looked down at Jen, hoping I was buying time, hoping I could avert his attention long enough for her to scurry away and raise the alarm. If she was able to. My heart thundered, morbid thoughts cursing my mind. Shit shit shit shit.

'Dont play dumb you fuck.' Clark stepped over Jen and approached me, clutching the weapon like a freakin pro. Figures really. Being that he was obviously a psycho. He was probably a dab hang with an axe too, and maybe a chainsaw.

'Wheres your little slut?'

I narrowed my eyes, fingers fumbling in my pocket, holding his gaze so he wouldn't suspect. I had to call 911. Maybe they could track us.

'Are you referring to Kennedy?'

His jaw twitched. 'So you got your diseased prick into her first. Funny, coz she seemed like such a wholesome girl. Not the kind to sit on some strangers dick the first chance she got.'

My instincts were to charge towards him, but I needed to stay level headed and in control. I didn't know where Kennedy was. Jen was scaring the hell out of me, lying there motionless. Then I heard a noise that I didn't want to hear right now. Kennedy was coming down the corridor, chattering on her phone. Clark's eyes lit up, sparkling under the crystal light shade in the lounge, and he started towards me. I did what any guy would do in the situation.

Any crazy guy incapable of saying that he loved a woman but knowing deep down that there was no doubt. Knowing that his baby grew inside a woman so precious he couldn't let any harm come to her. Whether she wanted him in her life, or not.

I charged at Clark and I heard his gun go off. It was a dreamlike sensation, like it had happened, but somewhere far off. Somewhere in the hall way Kennedy screamed and Jen's voice came to life.

'Get out of here Kennedy! Clark has a gun!'

I wrestled him onto the floor, and that's when I heard a chorus of gun shots. It took me a few moments to realize that Jen was fine. Kennedy's feet padded back down the corridor, headed towards the exit and I was shot.

Like maybe more than once.

He was underneath me, and I heard the click of his gun again, only this time no shot sounded. He'd run out of bullets. I felt a mad giddy sensation rippling through me, but my eyes swam and I realized it was because I was losing consciousness and not because I'd overpowered the guy. For gun shots it was strange, because I didn't feel pain. Not really. I hadn't gotten the upper hand. He'd just discharged all his ammo into my body. At close range.

I was doomed.

As blackness invited me to comforting slumber, I heard a far off voice.

Eric.

Another click of a gun, and I knew the big guy had it trained on the man currently underneath me. Colours bled away, my vision drained to nothing, and a hand found mine.

Jen.

'I'm having a baby girl.' I slurred.

Everything disappeared.

And then nothing.

..........................