17.

My hotel room was as luxurious as they came. I always opted for presiential suites, the kinda place that was probably twice the size of the house I grew up in. They were always an attractive lure for girls I'd pick up in the cities I stayed in. And this room was no different. There were enough chandeliers and gold gilding to please the most distinguised of guests.I downed the second scotch to chase the first, and groaned at the time. It was three am. Why couldn't I sleep? Maybe because Kennedy told me she'd call, and then kinda didn't. Maybe that was the reason why. When dawn came, I dressed for my meeting with Aldous Kaminsky. He was a revered art film director, and he wanted our assistance working with an up and coming band called Life Force. We were also hired to re-style their website and spear head some cutting web promos, the band were going places. And fast.

And it was exciting.

I knew that the job would mean running into some hot groupies, stylists, reporters, and European girls. I'd always had a thing for European chicks. Especially on my travels in Ibiza. I'd had some wild times, some epically hot, horny, intense times in the party capital of the world. And Aldous had invited me to his club, positioned right in the hubbub of what was always one of my favourite places in the world. I definitely loved Ibiza. In fact, at the end of this week in Prague I was due to spend a few days partying before heading over to London to meet with a jewellery company, a budget airline and a fashion brand. I'd packed in the meetings, knowing those guys wanted their campaigns for next year to be done and dusted before year end. I was always busy this time of year. Radspace had its proverbial fingers in a lot of pies, and we were unbeatable. Unstoppable.

I was on top of the world where my career was concerned.

So why was I suddenly, consistently feeling like everyone else was invited to a party I wasn't. Not much had changed, not really. The furniture of my life was still pretty much the same. My dad, my gran, even Jen. Despite her avoiding conversation she was still there. And I knew she'd be there if I really needed her. I was updated about office on goings by Clark, the deputised, dependable guy.

The kind of guy who could raise a kid and have that kid look up to him.

My kid.

I felt an uncontrollable wave of anger build inside me, like I was riding the crest of my fury, with black spots impinging my vision. The next two days with Aldous were heinously busy and yet again, the only contact I had with the office was Clark's daily emails. He did inform me that Kennedy was getting on great, and that she'd been an invaluable source of help to him. But instead of feeling like I should, you know, grateful that everything was ticking over, I just felt like Clark was muscling in. Like he was the hero, the guy who took the reins, a friendly personality with reasonably good looks and a history that didn't involve hundreds upon hundreds of women.

Before we left the airport for Ibiza I just couldn't wait any longer. I felt like I'd been kicked in the nuts over the whole scan thing. I'd spoken to Janine and Clark, Sam and a few other employees over the course of the four days, but not Kennedy. And now I was going to give her a piece of my mind. If I was going to suffer, waiting for her to pick up the phone and do what she'd promised she was gonna do, then she was going to suffer my wrath. I was away from home, for the first time ever I felt home sick and alone, and out of my depth.

I rang through to Janine and asked for her to put me through to Kennedy. As the extension line rang I watched score upon score of holidaymakers stream past. A few really tasty looking ladies on route to Ibiza. But all I could think of was the woman making me sweat, all the way back home.

God damn her.

'Good morning, Kennedy Clark speaking, how can I assist you?'

Once again I felt like the wind had been knocked from my sails. But she wasn't getting off easy. If she was playing games, I could go one better. I was her boss at the end of the day.