9.

She was like an angry wasp, buzzing all over the apartment packing boxes. My eyes were repeatedly drawn to her belly, but if you didn't know it, you'd never guess she was pregnant. In a pair of tight dark jeans and a red sweater, she looked kinda hot. I'll admit it. Frumpy train girl had undergone a transformation. The cape and beret hung on a hook near the door and I considered burning them. Or giving them to the homeless dude. She bent over to put some photo frames into a box and I felt my balls tighten. What was it with this girl? And me? Even in times of crisis with lunatics, I couldn't shut off my libido.

I had the vague recollection of thrusting into her from behind. I wanted to remember how that felt, but there was no way I'd ever touch the crazy bitch again. Not least because she scared the crap out of me.

'Get out of my apartment.' She hissed.

'It's not yours anymore. I could be a potential tenant.....'

'You? Live here? Rich boy you couldn't spend one night here.'

'You're gonna insult me even though I just bailed you out?'

'I didn't ask you to bail me out idiot. I'll get you your money back. Don't worry.'

'I don't want it back, Kennedy.'

She almost tripped over a box as I said her name. I'd unsettled her.

'Don't talk to me like you know me. Seriously if you don't disappear soon I'll call the police and tell them you're harassing me.'

'Where are you headed to?'

'What?'

'Where are you moving to?'

She dropped a box of kitchen utensils on the floor and stormed towards me. I felt like she'd backed me into a corner. Tiny, fuming, pregnant Kennedy.

'I'll figure it out. Okay?'

'Hold up. You don't know where you're headed?'

Her back stiffened, as she lifted a box and placed it on the kitchen counter beside me.

'Kennedy you need a plan.'

'A plan? Thanks for pointing out the fucking obvious Sherlock. Have you anything else enlightening to say, or are you done?'

'Move in with me.'

I had no idea where those words came from. I didn't know her, she was trouble. She'd already given me two regretable memories to date. The day she walked into my office announcing her pregnancy and that day on the train.

'Why the hell would I move in with you.' She pressed her hands to her hips and I babbled, some of it sounded like my sister pouring out of my mouth but I went with it.

'Because you're pregnant and you're homeless and broke and I'm the guy who did this to you.'

She raised an eyebrow, blowing a strand of hair off her forehead. 'I can't stand the sight of you. I'm not moving in.'

...............

Later that evening, I stared at my phone on the coffee table. Stacey had knocked on the door earlier, seeing if I wanted to have a little fun. Instead of jumping at the chance, I told her about the baby. My predictions were correct. She saw the earliest opportunity to leave, and vamoosed. I couldn't understand why I was getting so screwed up over this, I didn't have to reach out to Kennedy, I mean I'd made her an offer out of the goodness of my heart but she'd declined. And I didn't want a kid. Everyone knew the same as I did. I'd be the shittiest father and the poor little brat would be so fucked up as a result. It wasn't fair on either of us.