CHAPTER 2

Song: "Into the unknown" - from Frozen 2

*************

Plans always seem better in theory; it's the execution that fails dismally.

This new plan was no different.

In the security of Nick's apartment, Daxton had felt relief, certainty for the first time in a long time, that life could work out for him and his brother. As usual, the reality of it all was bleak and as the excitement of the idea dissolved, uncertainty settled instead.

What happened now going forward?

Mikayla, who he later was introduced to, had been quickly locked away in the guest bedroom with Annabelle. Damage control was most likely happening and soon, Annabelle would succeed in changing Mikayla's mind. Nick on the other hand, had simply placed his four-month-old daughter in her crib and smacked him across the back of his head.

"Idiot," he mumbled and then stormed away to his kitchen. Daxton followed knowing Nick had more on his mind. He watched from the entryway of the kitchen as Nick dug around in the freezer. Daxton was shocked to see his best friend pull out a tub of ice-cream and then a spoon. He watched confused as his health-nut of a friend sat at the counter eating straight out of the tub.

His eyes bugged out and he stumbled over his words, "you're... you... what?"

Nick laughed at him. "It's fat free and made with soy milk. It's not the best tasting but its better than the fatty, creamy kind."

Daxton scoffed. "That's the only kind worth eating."

Nick laughed. "Bella agrees but this is a good compromise."

"I can't believe you're eating ice-cream."

Nick smirked. "I've learned compromise since being with Bella. Mostly we look for healthy alternatives to the things she likes. That way she can have her binge sessions without worry she's hurting me."

Daxton grinned at his friend and walked close enough to place a comforting hand on his shoulder. "She really is the best thing to happen to you, isn't she?"

Nick laughed. "She really is. Good thing I realized quickly." He agreed. Nick's journey to love was a rough one and one that hadn't started with the best intentions but, things had worked out for them. They'd now been married for over a year and had a gorgeous baby girl. Nick was overcoming many of his past demons and overall, was far happier than Daxton had ever seen him before.

The clatter of Nick's spoon on the counter drew his attention and he looked at his friend curiously. Nick's eyes darted to the seat next him. Ah, the intervention.

"Just say it Nick," he mumbled, taking his seat.

"What are you doing?"

He couldn't pretend he didn't know what Nick spoke of. "I'm trying to save my brothers' life."

"By forcing an innocent woman into his mess," Nick scoffed.

"Mikayla said yes. No one has forced anything."

"She's fragile - innocent. She can't be swept up in this Dax. It's dangerous. She's too good for this."

He nodded. He could see clearly the kind of woman Mikayla was. She seemed untouched, someone with a good soul. He'd be tainting her good reputation. "It was her idea. It's the only idea I have."

"It was an idea, not a proposition. Leave her out of this Dax, I'm begging you." Daxton paused and looked carefully at his friend. Nick's determination on the matter was confusing.