CHAPTER 29.

Song: "Secrets." -The Weekend.

A/N: My apologies for such a late and SHORT chapter. For more information about why I've been MIA, please go check on my profile at my latest announcement. 

***********

It had been two days since Mikayla last heard Daxton's voice or felt his fingers on her skin. Breaking things off had been her idea but she'd never expected it to hurt quite so much. She was suffering from withdrawal. She so badly wanted to find him and cuddle on their bench in the greenhouse, occasional making out like naughty teenagers. She could never have that. Daxton ruined the place and she'd ruined whatever they could have had.

The only light to her days were Cameron. Mikayla never thought the man-child would ever prove to be a source of companionship and comfort but, he'd stepped up since his brothers' meltdown. Cameron escorted her to and from work each day, sheltering her from the still constant onslaught of cameras. After work, they'd relax in the main living room talking. Sometimes Cameron would just listen as she retold her day, others he'd entertain her with wild stories of his past or secrets from movie sets. When the sun would set, Cameron would have a worker prepare them dinner and they'd eat in silence as they watched a movie he chose. Cameron would often choose movies he'd starred in and would go as far as to explain certain scenes of the film if there was no talking.

Mikayla enjoyed those moments with Cameron, but she couldn't help wishing the older Reynolds was with her instead. Cameron, for his part, did his best to keep their spirits alive but she knew he was hurting. His brother was keeping something from him, and the betrayal had stung. It didn't help that Cameron had yet to see Daxton either in the last two days. He'd apparently disappeared in the early hours of the morning with a duffel bag and no one had heard from him since.

Mikayla tried not to let negative thoughts enter her mind but, she wasn't strong enough to keep them away. She thought the worst. She wasn't sure which scenario she wished for more. Some days she convinced herself he'd disappeared to finally end this 'promise', with a bag full of cash to help. Other times she had nightmares that he was lying in a ditch somewhere, naked and dead. Those were the worst.

"What's got you thinking so hard?" Mikayla didn't move to acknowledge Cameron's question. She simply curled deeper into the couch and laid her head down. They were headed towards three days without Daxton and she hated it. She wanted to forget their fight, forget her words and just have things back to normal.

Mikayla felt the seat beside her dip before a thick arm was draped over her shoulders. His head rest on top of hers. He didn't speak for a few moments and Mikayla loved the comfort. This was the Cameron she loved being around. She wished he showed it to the public more often. "I miss him too," mumbled Cameron. Mikayla ignored the water down her cheek. It tickled her nose as it dripped further down. "I've got a P.I. looking for him?"

Mikayla's body jolted. She turned in his direction and waited patiently for more information. "Don't get too excited. He hasn't found anything worthwhile yet."

She pouted. "So, what does he know?"

"Daxton was last seen boarding a flight to Canada. Flight tickets confirm this. It was a one-way ticket."

She gasped. "That... no, that isn't-"

Cameron gripped her body tighter. "I know. It doesn't make sense. We don't know anyone in Canada, well not anyone he'd fly over to see."

"He wouldn't leave you," she said hurriedly.

His grip moved until he'd pulled her on top of his lap. He pushed her head onto his chest and rubbed circles on her back. "Calm down, alright. We'll get to the bottom of this. You're right, he wouldn't leave me. Something else is going on."