CHAPTER 25

Song: "Night is young" - China Anne McClain.

**************

The vehicle came to stop, and Mikayla sighed in relief. Cameron finally stopped his singing.

"We were just getting into the best part of the song," whined Cameron. Mikayla tried to hide her smirk. Neither her nor Benny had the heart to tell him how awful his singing was.

"We've reached our destination," replied Benny.

"Where are we?" asked Mikayla.

Cameron gripped her forearm tightly. "We at the hottest club in town. Only the rich and famous get in." Mikayla's stomach dropped. She gripped the side of her seat and turned her body away from Cameron.

"This is a bad idea. Let's just go back home."

She heard him chuckle. "No ways. I need a good night out."

"You're still in recovery Cameron. This is a bad idea." Mikayla knew allowing Cameron to choose their activity would be a disaster. He only had one goal, to let loose. Unfortunately, Cameron hadn't learned how to do that without alcohol.

She heard him sigh and his tight grip loosened. She heard him fall into the seat beside her. "You're right. I need to be better. I owe it to Daxton."

The car fell into silence and Mikayla fiddled with her fingers. The awkwardness returned and she hated it. She'd never really been alone with Cameron for an extended period of time. It was odd being around him. There were times she felt they were opposites and had nothing in common. Other times, he'd make her laugh and she'd feel relaxed. She couldn't figure him out and it bothered her more than she liked to admit. She liked understanding people. It helped her to know their motives. It was the only defense she had against trouble.

Cameron was her first challenge. She wasn't sure if he liked having her in his life. She wasn't sure what he really thought of their ruse. She wasn't sure about anything where he was concerned.

"What should we do now?" asked Cameron. His sudden question startled her. She nibbled her lip in thought and then smiled.

"How about I show you how normal people have fun?"

He laughed. "I am normal."

"You know what I mean." She reached across the seat until she found his hand. "Let me show you how to have a good time without alcohol and loud music."

"Is that even possible?" He sounded incredulous and she giggled. Many thought she was naïve, but she may have competition.

"Come on."

He sighed. "Alright. We'll do it your way. Tell Benny where to go." Mikayla cheered in her seat and quickly told Benny to go to one of her favorite places. Benny was quick to leave the center and go to her destination. Surprisingly, they were close by.

"An ice rink?" said Cameron when the car stopped. "This is fun to you?"

She rolled her eyes. "Yes. Have you ever tried it?"

"I shot a movie scene once on an ice rink. Took us only ten shots. That's about the extent of my experience."

Mikayla chuckled. "Then you'll love this. Come on. The weather is warming up so it's the perfect time to go."

He sighed with effort and Mikayla rolled her eyes. Despite his reluctance, he stepped out and helped her find the ground. He kept her hand on his arm and his arm around her waist. He'd have to be her guidance since they'd left Nelly at home.

He walked her towards the entrance. The air around them got a little cooler the closer they got. Benny followed behind them obediently. It helped ease Mikayla's anxiety. No matter what, she believed Benny would ensure her safety above all else.