CHAPTER 20

Song: "Just the way you are" - Billy Joel

****************

Daxton was ready to pull his hair out. It had been a week and still his house was boarding three unwanted tenants. Though, if Daxton were being honest, there were only two unwanted tenants. He could play with Sofia all day.

"I'm getting bored," cried Cameron. "Please just let me out go out. Just this once," he nagged.

Daxton pinched the bridge of his nose. He had work to do and it was already noon and he'd done none of it. He missed the days when his house was empty. "For the last time Cam, no, you are not going out."

"Whhyyy?" whined Cameron. Daxton stared perplexed. His brother had lost his mind if he believed it were a good idea to go clubbing.

"Cameron, you're in recovery."

"So."

Daxton's eyes bulged. "So! Did you forget what we're doing all this for? Did you forget why Mikayla is here? You can't go clubbing. It'll ruin everything we're trying to fix and set you back on your recovery."

Cameron rolled his eyes and stomped, like a petulant child, towards his bedroom. Daxton ignored him and stomped towards Mikayla's bedroom. He missed her. He hadn't had a conversation with her that lasted longer than a minute. Annabelle continued to steal all her attention. Daxton tried not to be bitter. He knew Annabelle and Nick were going through a rocky time in their marriage and Annabelle needed her best friend. Daxton just hated that their troubles had become his.

When he reached the bland brown door, he knocked enthusiastically. Not a moment later, the door swung open. Mikayla stood there smiling. "Hey Mikayla. Do you have a moment?"

Mikayla's smile widened. "I thought you'd never ask." She suddenly glanced behind her with her top teeth biting down on her bottom lip. Daxton glanced over her shoulder and saw Annabelle seated on the floor with a gurgling Sofia. Toys were scattered around them. Annabelle smiled up at Mikayla. "Um," Mikayla mumbled under her breath.

"It's fine," Annabelle said quickly. She picked up the ten-month-old and stood up quickly. Annabelle placed her hand on Mikayla's shoulder. "I've kept you holed up in this room this past week. It's not fair. Go have some adult fun." Though Mikayla didn't see it, Daxton saw all too quickly the secretive wink she passed. Daxton hid a smirk.

"I've enjoyed being here with you," Mikayla said quickly.

"I'm not saying you haven't but, if you're not working then you're here with me. Go have some time alone." There was no doubting Annabelle's tone. Mikayla's blush meant she read through the lines too. Daxton felt his cheeks heat up. He needed to be discrete if their plan was supposed to work.

"If you're sure?" asked Mikayla.

"Yes. Sofia is due a nap anyway and," Annabelle paused. "I suppose it's time I speak to my ass of a husband anyway."

Daxton grinned. "He's downstairs if you're looking for him. He just came back from work."

"Thanks Daxton." answered Annabelle. "Now you kids go and have some fun," she teased. She pushed at Mikayla's shoulders until she was out the door and clumsily pushed into Daxton's chest. Daxton steadied her quickly. When the door closed behind them, he smiled down at her.

"So, shall we go?" he asked her.

Mikayla frowned. "Where are we going?"

Daxton reached for her hand and clasped it in his. "Our spot."

Mikayla's smile spread the widest he'd seen in long time. "I can't imagine anything better."

They walked happily towards the greenhouse. Their hands were clasped together. They snuck through the back garden towards their favorite hideout. They didn't speak during their walk, but they were never far enough away from each other. Eventually the small little house came into view and Daxton open the door quickly. They were then enveloped in glorious smells. Not all of the flowers were in bloom yet since Daxton had included a few new species but, the sight was enough to make Daxton smile. His greenhouse always made him feel tranquil. He loved most that Mikayla enjoyed his special place too.