CHAPTER 10

Song: "I'm ready"- by Sam Smith ft. Demi Lavato.

**********************

She still couldn't believe it. Thanks to Daxton's surprise, living in the large home was much easier for Mikayla, far easier than life with her parents had even been. She felt more independent having some of the technology around to aid her better. She now walked around the house by herself, explored with just Nelly by her side and only her sense of touch and smell to guide her.

During the week Mikayla often found herself in Daxton's greenhouse. She worried he'd be upset by her intrusion and yet, after that first time stumbling across her, he simply squeezed her shoulder and said to make herself at home. And so, she did. Often Mikayla would take a light blanket and her Kindle reader to the greenhouse. Nelly would lay on her feet in the sun and Mikayla would let her audio books play through her earphones while she sat on the bench, eyes closed and nose taking in the smells.

It was her new favorite room and when asked she said it was because of the calm isolation but the truth was, it was the only room that smelled most of Daxton. There was something comforting about his scent and before finding the greenhouse, Mikayla could never identify the smell. Now, she knew what Daxton really smelled of, was a refreshing combination between the earthy scent of the compost in the room and herbs from those he often picked for the chef.

Mikayla hadn't been around Cameron enough to know what he smelled like, but she assumed he'd smell of an expensive cologne she'd never heard of. She'd would know eventually because soon, Cameron would be back home, essentially breaking through the little bubble she'd molded into with Daxton.

"There you are." Mikayla's head shot around, and she pulled one of her earbuds out. She heard shuffling and smiled. Only Daxton ever dragged his feet so quickly. Soon his hand was on her shoulder. He squeezed once and sat beside her. Mikayla wanted to soak up the warmth from his touch and bottle it up for her own easy access on the lonely nights.

"What are you reading?" He asked and she turned her Kindle to show him the title. He hummed but said nothing more. She wanted to keep talking to him and so she moved her finger on the screen where she knew the pause button would be. She kept swiping her finger around, dragging it up, then down then left and right. Still the audio continued. Suddenly, her hand was wrapped up in a larger, rougher hand. Daxton's index finger lay on top of hers and slowly he pulled her hand carefully towards the right.

The voice stopped and she released the breath the held. She'd been close. "There you go," he whispered, his voice suddenly sounding a lot closer. She gulped. Her throat suddenly felt very dry.

She nodded, not sure what to say to him. His hand was still on hers. "Thanks," she whispered back. His hand left hers though she was sure he'd taken his time doing it. She could feel him shuffling around in his seat before his own throat cleared.

"Why do you always come here?" He asked her, now sounding further away. She frowned. She'd liked hearing him as much as she felt him when he spoke. She shook her head at the thought. She had to get her head into gear and start remembering what she was there for. She wasn't meant to be liking Daxton, she was meant to fake liking his brother.

Mikayla fiddled with her fingers. "It's quieter here."

"That's why I like it too." He answered and Mikayla smiled softly when he sounded closer to her again. What was the man doing to her? He simply bought a few things to make her stay at the house easier and suddenly she was reacting to him, smiling when he was near and thinking about him all the time. It was madness and she had to snap out of it.

No man had ever made her head spin quite like Daxton had begun to and Mikayla had enough sense to know she had to save herself before she fell too hard.