CHAPTER 16

Song: "Safe and sound," by Taylor Swift.

****************

Only two more minutes. He only had to hold off for two more minutes.

"Tell us about the wedding plans?" asked the host, Megan. Daxton watched from the front, behind the producer and a camera. He stood with gritted teeth. He watched as Cameron's hand travelled low and rest against Mikayla's hip. The hand tightened. Most people would miss it but, not Daxton. All he could focus on was the hand that should be anywhere else.

Daxton moved his left hand towards his mouth. He bit hard on the flesh against his thumbnail. He watched through slit eyes as Cameron smiled cheekily at Megan. "We haven't set a date yet."

Megan pouted dramatically. "Ah now come on. Don't play coy with us."

Cameron settled in closer towards Mikayla and Daxton bit harder on his flesh. "You know I'm all about being dramatic and putting on a show." The audience cheered. "But I'm a changed man," continued Cameron. He looked towards Mikayla and kissed her cheek. "This means a lot to me. Mikayla means a lot to me." Cameron's eyes moved from Mikayla and towards the studio audience. His eyes moved until they stopped directly on Daxton. "I want this to work out and that means things – I – have to change."

Daxton gulped. He wasn't sure what to make of Cameron's declaration. He'd gone off script and it left Daxton jittery.

"Wow," gushed Megan. "So, Hollywood's most eligible bachelor is now reformed. I never thought I'd see the day." To Megan's credit, she looked genuinely flabbergasted by the reveal. "Mikayla must be something special."

Cameron looked at Mikayla again. "She's brought the sunshine to my dark days." Daxton resisted the urge to throw up. His brother was full of it.

The audience gushed and Daxton rolled his eyes. "Can we at least expect the wedding soon?" Megan asked with hope.

"Well..." Cameron dragged. Daxton's eyes bulged. What was his brother doing?

"Right now, our focus is on his recovery," interrupted Mikayla. She grabbed his hands and held them in her own. "We all just want what's best for him and right now, his health is our top priority. I'd love nothing more than to have the wedding happen now but, I can't go through with it until I know that he's in a good place."

"She's right," added Cameron. "Rehab was tough but, it was the first step. The hardest part is what comes after. I'm lucky to have Mikayla and my brother Daxton with me for support."

Applause sounded around them, and Daxton resisted the urge to roll his eyes. He wasn't sure how much more of the farce he could take. To Daxton's relief, the segment ended soon after. Megan thanked Cameron for the exclusive and wished the couple well. Soon after, the trio were in a dark SUV with tinted windows. They were finally alone.

Mikayla was finally by his side.

"That was tougher than I thought it'd be." whispered Mikayla. She moved to lean her head against Daxton's shoulder. Daxton grinned widely. He finally felt the tension leave his shoulders. This was how it was supposed to be.

Cameron sighed loudly and relaxed against his seat. "Those interviews are always a headache. I hate it all. It feels so fake."

"Why do you go through with it all?" Mikayla asked him.

"It keeps him relevant," answered Daxton. "It's the bad side of fame."

"Publicity is a part of the job. It's not the most pleasant but it's a crucial part." grumbled Cameron.

Mikayla sighed and shuffled lower down her seat. "I don't know if I can go trough this again."

Daxton grabbed her hand and wrapped it in his own. He bent down to kiss her on her head. "You won't need to. What we did today will be enough for a while."

"So, what happens next?" Mikayla asked.

Cameron laughed beside them. "We see what the public says."

"That's all?"

He shrugged. "That's the start. Once the interview airs, it'll be all over the city. We'll have paparazzi at our door. They'll be watching us and scrutinizing us. That'll be the hardest part."

"Wait a minute," Mikayla sat up. "Paparazzi?" she clarified. "How am I supposed to work? We've been on midterm break but I'm due back in a week."

"What do you do? I don't think I ever asked?" asked Cameron.

"I teach at the local school for the blind."

Daxton smiled. "Don't frown so deeply," he said with a chuckle. He smoothened the creases on her forehead. "Everything will be fine. They're more concerned with Cameron anyway."

"And I'm used to it," added Cameron.

Mikayla continued to nibble her lip in worry. Daxton sighed. He hated seeing her worry. He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and pulled her body towards him. They were nearing their place and Daxton was sure there'd be a dark van hiding to take their picture.

He kissed her head and continued to comfort her. "I'll be here every step of the way. I'll make sure nothing happens to you."

Cameron reached next to him and placed his hand on her knee. "You've got me too."

She smiled at them. "Thanks guys. You're right. I'm worrying too much. They won't care about a nobody like me."

Daxton rubbed her arm in comfort. Over the top of her head, he caught sight of his brother. Cameron's white hair stood up in spikes, but his eyes were cast in concern. Daxton shook his head. He knew what his brother hinted at but, he couldn't tell the truth. Mikayla would run and Daxton wasn't ready to say goodbye just yet.

Cameron frowned and turned to look out his window. The car descended into silence. A ball of lead fell into the depth of Daxton's stomach. He felt sick. He knew he should be honest. Mikayla deserved that much from him. He should prepare Mikayla for the chaos they had just released.

He couldn't do it though. One look into her deep blue eyes and his mouth tightened closed. He wanted Mikayla to stay. If she knew just what was about to happen, she'd run from their rouse.

Daxton wasn't ready for that. Daxton needed more time.