CHAPTER 14

Song: "Like it is" - Kygo, Zara Larsson, Tyga.

******************

It surprised Daxton how tasty the soup turned out to be. It bubbled and boiled roughly before he could move it away. He'd saved it, shockingly enough. It had been a pleasant distraction, something to pull his attention away from his brother. There was something about Cameron's expression that chilled Daxton. He didn't want to think too heavily about it, he couldn't. Once he'd retrieved the soup from its excessive heat, he'd dished them quickly into ceramic bowls. 

Cameron had been reluctant to eat. Daxton's worry quickly turned into sympathy. He shouldn't be too hard on his brother. When they all had their bowls, they'd moved to the living room to eat their dinner. The silence fell heavy; leaving only the clinking and scraping of their spoons in the room. Daxton stared at his bowl, then at Mikayla. She sat hovered over her bowl on the small one-seater. Her head stayed down, only lifting when her spoon would reach towards her lips.

She had her body folded into herself and Daxton frowned. He wondered why she looked reserved. "The soup came out well," he said into the silence. He watched Mikayla as he spoke, hoping it would cause her to straighten a bit. She didn't move her head, but he saw her lips quirk into a small smile.

"Yeah it does," said Cameron. He looked at Daxton in shock. "When did you learn how to cook like this?"

Daxton laughed. "You can thank Mikayla for this. I was following her lead."

Daxton loved seeing his brothers' eyes widen, then his lips turned up into a gentle smile. He whistled lowly. "Damn, I'm going to enjoy having you around." His smirk grew, and he winked at Daxton. Daxton bristled. Something about his teasing tone made Daxton uncomfortable. "So, how is this going to work?"

Daxton and Mikayla frowned. "What do you mean?" asked Daxton. His bowl was empty, so he quickly leaned forward and placed it on the table in front. Mikayla's bowl was empty too. Rather than move the bowl away, she gripped the bowl in her hands.

"I'm talking about this agreement we have. The one to get my reputation back."

Daxton frowned. He'd hoped to not have this conversation. The more he could forget it, the better. Instead, his brother eyed him curiously and Daxton sighed. He scratched his head. "I'm not sure about the details, but we've already got the gossip mills running. While you were away, we've had some magazines publish the photos I took of you two. We promised The Daily Morning show an exclusive interview once you'd completed your treatment." He gulped. "The plan is for you to announce your engagement in the interview." He hated the word and what it meant.

"Just like that, huh?" Cameron asked as he twirled his spoon. He looked despondent.

Daxton shrugged. It sounded simple in theory, but they all knew it was nothing of the sort. "That's the start at least," answered Daxton. "After that," he shook his head. "We're going to have to play it by ear, see where the wind–or chaos–takes us."

Cameron laughed, but the answer caused Mikayla to frown. He watched her, watched how her eyes crinkled and her head lifted. "What will happen after the interview?" She sounded unsure, almost terrified. Daxton wanted so badly to hold her hand and reassure her, but he couldn't. He'd have to learn soon enough that it wasn't his job. Once the news went out about Cameron's engagement, Daxton would have a new role. He'd be on the sidelines, the way he always had been. There, only to keep a lookout for trouble. The limelight was always Cameron's role.

"We have fun," answered Cameron cheekily.

Daxton nudged him with his foot. When his brother glanced at him in confusion, he shook his head. Cameron shrugged. "What my idiotic brother means is that we're going to have to be careful after the interview."

"What do you mean?" she had her head turned towards him and Daxton sat up taller. He always enjoyed her attention.

"What I mean is, once news gets out, we're going to need to be sure you and Cameron are the happy couple the world believes."

"What my brother is trying to say," Cameron interrupted. "You and I doll face are going to need to make sure we always show the public what they want to see. Remember, we're selling them the story I'm a changed man. It isn't something I can just say is truth and ignore. I have to sell it." Daxton watched Cameron's eyes roll. "The paparazzi can be ruthless. They'll look for any dirt they can to tear me a part and they'll do the same to you."

"It's why you're actually the perfect person for this job," Daxton spoke softly. "The media will look for any cracks in the relationship, but with you, they won't find any."

"But we don't have a relationship. Won't that be a crack to find?"

Daxton hung his head. That was the hard part. "It is and it's why we'll need to be careful."

"How do we do that?" she asked. Daxton didn't like that Mikayla asked the tough questions. He didn't have the answers she needed. He was making it up as things moved along.

"I don't know." he admitted. "All I know is that you and Cameron will need to play a part. If you do it well enough, we shouldn't have problems."

She shrugged. "I'm not sure I can do that convincingly."

"Look Mikayla," said Cameron. Daxton watched as he stood up and walked towards Mikayla. He kneeled in front of her and grabbed her hands. Daxton sat forward in his seat, aching to know how the scene would play out. To his surprise, Cameron's tone was gentle. "This is going to be hard, but I'll do all I can to make it easier for you."

Mikayla smiled softly at him. "You make it sound all so easy."

Cameron's smirk grew and his hand moved to her waist. Daxton's fists clenched. "I say that because it will be easy. Don't forget who you're talking to babe. I'm Cameron Reynolds. I make panties drop."

There was the brother he knew.