CHAPTER 15

Song: "Feeling You." Mi Casa.

******************

Mikayla didn't know what was going on. There were too many new voices, too many new sounds. It was overwhelming. To his credit, Daxton tried to make her feel better. It wasn't helping very much.

"They're only helping," he said to her. His voice was delicate, but she could detect some irritation. She frowned. She couldn't help being resistant. She was scared. "Just let them do their job."

Mikayla crossed her arms over her chest. She pouted in his direction. "I don't care for it."

She heard him sigh. "We don't have time for this Mikayla." He sounded worn out. She knew he was stressed and worried about what was about to happen. She felt the need to comfort him. She couldn't and it irritated her more than she expected.

"Perhaps, we can have Cameron help?" a young voice spoke from Mikayla's left. Mikayla couldn't place a name to the voice. She'd long since given up remembering all the people around her. "She should feel more comfortable with Cameron than a stranger." Mikayla resisted the urge to snort. She wanted to disagree. Thankfully, Daxton was there.

"No," he said too quickly. "Um, just uh, give us a minute." Mikayla heard shuffling and then a door closed. Finally, silence surrounded her. "Mickey, I need you to work with me here."

She frowned. "It's hard." She threw her hands up in frustration. "How would you feel about strangers gripping and grabbing at you?" She groaned in frustration. "It's unnerving."

He sighed. "You aren't alone. I'm right here and I've been telling you everything they're doing to you."

She dropped her hands heavily against her side. "It isn't the same. I don't know them Daxton." She could feel her bottom lip shake. She bit down on it quickly.

Not too quickly, it seemed. "Oh Mickey," she heard Daxton sigh. He moved forward and soon his arms were wrapped around her shoulders. Mikayla breathed easily for the first time that morning. She lay her head against his chest instantly and wrapped her arms around him. He squeezed tighter. She felt him place a kiss on the top of her head and she smiled. This was all she needed. She needed his assurance. She needed his comfort and safety. Mikayla didn't know when he'd become all those things for her, but she wasn't questioning it. She loved it all.

All too soon, Daxton pulled away. He kept his arms on her. She felt him lift her face up and then he kissed her. She sagged into him with a happy sigh. His kiss was gentle and slow. She loved it. He pulled away and cleared his throat. "Will you let me help you?" he asked softly.

She didn't need to think long about it. She nodded. She heard him chuckle softly and then he reached for the hem of her shirt. Mikayla gulped. His fingers grazed her skin and she felt it ripple under his touch. She gulped. His breaths were labored, and it was all that kept her still. He was just as affected as her. He pulled her shirt up, over her chest and head. She was left in only her bra and sudden embarrassment. She covered her midsection in reflex. Mikayla didn't need sight to know her tubed waist was off-putting to most men.

"Don't," he whispered brokenly. He reached softly for her fingers and pulled. He opened her arms up and held them away from her body. "I love seeing you like this." His voice was a whisper. Her skin prickled. "You are so beautiful. My heart hasn't stopped beating wildly since we've been left alone." He bent forward and suffocated her with a bruising kiss. She groaned and gripped at his shoulders.

He pulled away quickly and she whined. He chuckled. "We can't, gorgeous. People are waiting."

She pouted. "Screw them."