CHAPTER 7

Song: "Run like a rebel" - by The Score.

*******************

A week had passed, and Mikayla couldn't say living in her new home was any different to when she lived with her parents. She wanted it to be different, she craved for it to be different and challenging. She was tired of being sheltered and protected. It made her feel useless. She was thirty- blind yes- but still an adult and dammit if she didn't want to feel like one for once in her life.

No one understood that. No on let it happen.

"There you go, sunny side up." Annabelle placed a plate in front of Mikayla, and she forced a smile of gratitude. She was grateful, truly, but she was tired of this. All Annabelle and Nick had done the past week was follow her like a second shadow. Actually, a shadow was putting it mildly. They were more like second skins. They weren't allowing her to do anything. She couldn't even shower by herself; Annabelle being too concerned that she didn't know the layout of the bathroom and that it would somehow cause her untimely death.

They were behaving like she'd just lost her sight when really it had been years. She had hoped that having Sofia there it would mean they'd leave her alone but really; they'd begun to share responsibilities so well that, the only time Mikayla was alone was when she slept.

She couldn't rely on Daxton for help, the poor guy was so busy with the media, she wondered if he even realized he had house guests. Something had to be done though. Surely, in a house so stacked with staff, Annabelle and Nick would feel comfortable leaving her alone. Surely by now they trusted Daxton.

"I have to go in today." Nick's voice caught her attention and Mikayla fiddled with her eggs as she listened.

"Do you really need to?" Annabelle asked with a slight whine in her voice.

"I can't neglect my work Belle. I've helped where I can, but I need to see to my students."

"What about Mikayla?" Annabelle asked, her voice now lowering. "I can't watch Sofia and help Mikayla."

"You'll need to figure it out. I need to go." No one had a chance of adding more to the conversation. Nick was out the room with a run.

There was a soft shuffle around the kitchen. Annabelle never said anything, she simply continued washing the dishes. Daxton had told her plenty times that the staff would clean but Annabelle declined each time. Mikayla wondered if it was just an excuse to stay around her as she ate slowly.

"What do you want to do today Mickey?" Annabelle asked. Before Mikayla could answer, a wail came through the baby monitor. Mikayla could hear Annabelle's hesitation as she contemplated leaving her alone in the kitchen. Mikayla rolled her eyes. This was why something had to be done. "I'll be back. Don't go anywhere." Annabelle eventually rushed upstairs towards her daughter and Mikayla didn't think twice about climbing up from her seat.

She had to leave before the warden returned.

"Come," she called simply and soon, she could feel Nelly brush against her legs. She let her left hand fall on top of Nelly's head as she soaked up the comfort only she could provide. Mikayla had fought so hard for Nelly, not just for assistance but as a companion too. She had heard that service dogs were trained and good at lowering anxiety levels and if there was one hurdle Mikayla struggled climbing over, it was her anxiety. Nelly was her true hero.

Mikayla continued rubbing Nelly as she thought of her next move. Annabelle would be quick. Most likely Sofia needed a diaper change and a feed and, knowing Annabelle, she'd rush through the change to be back in the kitchen where she could feed her daughter while watching Mikayla.