CHAPTER 4

Song: "Faith" - by George Michael. 

*************

Faith was something Daxton always had small quantities of, especially where his future was concerned. Now, walking out of the courtroom, Daxton had to wonder if maybe faith was something worth having. He'd been really worried about the outcome of Cameron's court ruling but, someone out there was clearly on his side because the judge had been lenient.

"This is utter bull-"

"Hey," Daxton quickly chastised his brother. "There are cameras, look happy."

Cameron glared. "How can I be happy after the ruling that piece of-"

"Cameron!" He stopped his walking and pulled on his brothers' shoulder; his face pulled into a frown. "Will you stop! This was going to happen regardless of what the judge said. It's better than jail."

"It's ridiculous," he muttered under his breath. Daxton sighed, watching his brother stand dejectedly in front of him on the court steps. A few journalists stood at the bottom of the staircase waiting for an interview. The only thing keeping the vultures away was the glass door the brothers' stood behind.

Cameron stood with his hands in his grey suit pants pocket, his head faced away from the cameras. Daxton hated seeing him like that. "Cam," he called, pulling on his shoulder so he could face him. "It's for the best. Havenly will help."

"I don't need rehab. I'm fine. I've got this all under control."

Daxton pinched the bridge of his nose. "I wish I could agree. You haven't been in control for two years."

Cameron yanked his body away from Daxton and walked away from the entrance, towards a large pillar. He leaned on it, his head in his hands. Daxton sighed and followed. "Talk to me buddy. What's really bugging you?" Cameron shrugged. "Come on," he urged. "You should be happy it's not jail. The judge was kind to rule on six months in rehab and counselling."

Cameron rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Let's just go."

He stood to leave but Daxton pushed him back. "Talk to me. I'm your brother."

He was quiet for a moment. He kept his eyes on the ground and eventually whispered, "I don't want you to leave me."

Daxton's heart tore in two. Despite how much his brother always tried to be 'put on' for the cameras, it was in moments such as these where Cameron was simply his little brother who he vowed to protect since they were kids.

Daxton grabbed his brothers' shoulders and pulled him into a tight hug. Cameron was taller than him, but it didn't matter; he simply bent down until his head was on his big brothers' shoulder. He squeezed tight. "I'm never leaving you. You're stuck with me for life baby brother. I know the next six months will be scary and hard for you but I'm here and I'm not going anywhere. I'm doing this to protect you because I love you. Always."

Cameron nodded and pulled away. "I'm doing this for you."

Daxton smiled. "Do it for us."

~~***~~

A week later, the world knew it all and Daxton seemed to be in a constant state of exhaustion and migraine central. The news reports were both congratulatory and ruthless. The only saving grace Daxton had was the tight security surrounding Havenly. His brother was in good hands.

He'd been in contact with his brother daily. The center didn't usually allow contact, but Daxton insisted. He and Cameron had never gone a day without speaking and he wasn't about to start.