CHAPTER 11

Song: "Tell your heart to beat again" - by Danny Gokey.

*********************

Daxton couldn't believe his luck. He'd gone to only check up on Mikayla and instead he'd finally got to kiss her. It had surpassed his fantasies and had been everything he'd hoped it be. Though their kiss had felt clumsy at first, mostly due to Mikayla's inexperience and disability, Mikayla's eagerness had camouflaged it. He'd finally been allowed to hold her, touch her, and kiss her and once he started, he didn't know how to stop.

They'd eventually left the greenhouse only to go to the kitchen and attempt to make lunch. Mikayla was able to try the new equipment Daxton had bought for her and he'd been thrilled to witness it. Her elation warmed his heart and while he stood there quietly watching her giddiness rise with every new push of a button, he felt it in his core. He felt how all he could see was her. He felt how her happiness transferred to his own. He felt how the sway of her wide hips accelerated his heartbeat. He felt how her childish innocence made him protective of her.

He felt himself begin to fall; to fall for her candid beauty.

After the realization hit him, he'd all but rushed to her and grabbed her tight against him before shoving his lips on hers. Their kissing had got so passionate that food had left their minds quickly. Several minutes later, they'd settled on sandwiches for lunch and cuddling on the sofa. He had work to do and in two days' time, so would Mikayla but, all he'd really cared about in that moment was soaking up every available second with her.

They'd snuggled against each other and had watched a variety of movies. He found the entire experience fascinating. There would be moments when Mikayla would whisper to him, asking for a description on a scene if it were quiet. He reveled in those moments; in being the only one to guide her into a world she couldn't see.

Lunch had turned to dinner and afternoon had faded into evening. Daxton had sent the staff home early that day, so it was just him and Mikayla. He'd ordered pizza and again, they snuggled into the sofa while a comedy played. After their dinner, Mikayla had felt like playing a game. He wanted to make it interesting and had decided to play three truths and a lie, winner gets a kiss. Mikayla had blushed but agreed.

That night, Daxton discovered that Mikayla was adopted at age fourteen after living in an orphanage and foster home with Annabelle. Mikayla had said that, for the most part, her time before the Hudson's was fine but she'd always felt guilty for leaving Annabelle alone in the foster home. He hadn't understood why but Mikayla had said it wasn't her story to tell.

He'd also learned that Mikayla had been born prematurely and with a condition called Retinopathy of Prematurity. "Basically, because I was born too early, my eyes hadn't developed properly," she had said. "My birth parents, whoever they were had given me up when I was a year old. The orphanage had no way of knowing there was anything wrong with me at first but, once they could get me to a clinic to be checked, they'd already determined that my case was severe. They believe that, had my parents got me treatment, I'd have never lost majority of my eyesight. It's treatable if caught early. There's eye surgery that can be done to prevent the retina from detaching and vision being lost but it was never done for me."

Hearing how Mikayla's birth parents had destroyed her life in many ways had left Daxton feeling angry. Some people shouldn't be allowed to procreate. If the Hudson's had birthed Mikayla or had her earlier in her life, she'd probably be living a very normal life and the fact that she wasn't angered Daxton. Yet, Mikayla was the one who had been calm and had simply said, "it isn't a nice thing to hear but I can't change it and I don't regret the way my life has turned out. I have amazing people in my life and that's all that matters."

When he had asked her how bad her eyesight was, he was surprised to know she could see shadows and vague outlines of shapes. Her vision was too poor to be able to make out the things around her and she struggled with colour. Hearing Mikayla say that his gadgets were helping her, had a surge of pride go through him. He only ever wanted her happy and comfortable.

Their night had continued like that, the pair of them exchanging stories and truths about their lives. Usually Daxton was the more reclused of the Reynold's brothers but with Mikayla, he felt his secrets and life story burst out of him. He felt excited to share his childhood with her, even though it was as bleak as hers. He felt comforted by her and her touch when he'd detailed his childhood with his abusive drug addicted parents. He'd felt reassurance from her, even though she disagreed with his coddling of Cameron, she still made him feel like he was being a great big brother.

When the clock had neared midnight, they finally retired to bed. At her bedroom door, Daxton had reached for her waist, pulled her against his taller, thinner frame and simply held her. She had hugged him back and Daxton had loved just being able to hold her. He wasn't sure that once Cameron returned home the next day if he'd ever have the chance again. He'd eventually pulled away from the hug and had kissed her, slowly and with as much of his feelings as he could.

When she'd left to sleep, Daxton had simply stayed outside her door, his shoulders sagged with dread and longing. The thing with Mikayla felt so fresh and new and all he wanted to do was pursue it and see where it led except, he wasn't sure he could. His brother was due to arrive back home the next day and their plan would finally be in motion.

Interviews were set up for the next week and eventually the world would know of Cameron's apparent love for Mikayla. There was no place in the fiasco for Daxton and the truth hurt him. Cameron always got what he wanted and usually, Daxton was there to help him get it. This time though, Daxton wished for once that he could win. 

I've uploaded a new story, one I'm very excited about

I've uploaded a new story, one I'm very excited about. Please go and add my new young adult romance novel: Forgetting Prince Charming to your libraries. It's now complete.

Here's a sneak peak of what to expect:

She's had a secret kept safe for three years, one that would tear her family apart

She's had a secret kept safe for three years, one that would tear her family apart. It only took one drunk encounter for her secret to be exposed on national radio.

*****

Emma Ullmann has been harboring a secret for three years - she's in love with Dr. Eamon Mikklesen. Only problem, he's dating her sister Larissa. She's managed to keep her feelings a secret, but that all changes when on her way to work, Emma hears the notorious Joey Levy expose her secret on the city's most popular morning radio show. Now, not only is Emma desperate to keep her sister from finding out but she's also stuck having to be the city's biggest form of gossip. When the producers of Radio 769 realize the money making opportunity in front of them, Emma is pulled into their ridiculous game: Forget Prince Charming and give me Romeo. What follows is a hurricane of events where, no matter how hard she tries, Emma is thrust into the life of speed dating, blind dates and a voting poll where the public decides her next move. Either she moves on or, chases after Eamon.