CHAPTER 26

Song: "Problem" - Ariana Grande ft. Iggy Azalea.

*****************

Mikayla wasn't sure what she expected to see upon arriving back home an hour later. Things between her and Cameron were already strained after his muffled declaration. All Mikayla had a desire to do was sleep. She'd prefer to pretend they day seized to exist.

Daxton had other plans.

The media had other plans.

She should have known better.

"What the hell is this?" Daxton's voice was loud and sharp. His vicious accusation startled Mikayla. Daxton chose to ignore her fright though Cameron couldn't,

"You alright?" he asked her. His hand moved to the lower part of her back. His thumb rubbed softly against her cardigan. She nodded.

"Stop touching!" yelled Daxton. Cameron sighed in exasperation. Mikayla sagged her shoulders. She moved away from Cameron carefully, as inconspicuously as she could, and turned towards Daxton's huffing.

"Perhaps we'd be more inclined to answer you in you clued us in on the cause of your frustration." She spoke calmly to him while her arms folded stiffly against her chest. Her words were meant to pacify but she made sure her hard expression let him know she was mad too.

"Your photo is all over the internet." His words were lower in volume, but nothing hid the frustration.

"So," said Cameron. She heard him move away from the front door. His gait was calm, and she knew his aversion to react drove his brother closer to murder. "Isn't that what Mikayla is here for?"

"This wasn't planned." Daxton's words were clipped and pushed through his teeth with effort. Mikayla held her head. It was going to be a long night if the two of them continued going nowhere except only to irritate one another.

Cameron's walking stopped. "So, I can only kiss my fiancé when you deem it so." His words were riddled in condescension.

"Yes," answered Daxton immediately. Mikayla rolled her eyes aggressively. She was certain Cameron did too if Daxton's next words meant anything. "I mean, um-"

"No, by all means, don't try and justify your controlling ways," said Cameron sarcastically. Mikayla bit her bottom lip in worry. "You're right. Who are we to defy you or, heaven forbid, make up our own minds?"

"Damnit Cam, that's not what I mean, and you know it." Cameron scoffed. Daxton groaned loudly. "Tell him Mickey. I didn't mean it that way."

Mikayla sighed. The short months that had passed in the presence of the Reynolds brothers had been mostly fun for Mikayla. She'd learned a lot about them, and she'd come to love being around them but, sometimes they behaved like children. "I think you and I need to have a little talk." She said to him quietly.

"But-"

"It's not a request. Come on." She stuck her hand out for him and was relieved when she felt him drop his heavily into hers. He wasn't happy but he was listening. Slowly she pulled him away from Cameron and towards their safe haven. When Daxton realized which direction she walked in, he stepped closer towards her. His body seemed to relax more.

Good, she thought. She needed him to calm down so they could discuss everything properly.

Once they were inside the greenhouse and on their bench, Mikayla dropped Daxton's hand. She turned her body so that it was facing his. "You want to tell me what's going on with you?" At first he scoffed, ready to deny her accusations. She wasn't going to give him time to. "Don't deny it. If you want to make sure this ends with us all happy, you'll talk."